18" wheel ride vs 17" wheel ride harshness

StealthRider

Do 18" wheels ride just as good as 17" wheel on a Grand National? I had a 1995 Firebird Formula with 17s on it that had a harsh but tolerable ride would the GN ride the same with 17s or 18s?

A little on the harsh side. With mine I have to swerve from pot holes, the size dosnt allow for very thick tires. Bent one rim in two years. That is also on Michigans great roads (B.S.). With 18's the tires would proably be more like electrical tape. I have seen G Bodys with 20's and the cars have to be lifted, so I dont know what would have to be done suspension wise with 18's. I have also dropped my car with the Hotchkis kit. In my opinion stick with 17's for less hassle.

Nick

I remember reading the article in GMHTPM about the 2 buicks from Arizona and one had 17s and one had 18s. The guy that had the car with the 18s said if he had to do it again he would stick with the 17s cause he rode in the other buick and said the ride was better. And from that article I purchased 17s from Simmons for my GN.
Tarey D.

Wheel size is not the only thing that determines ride quality , sidewall tire hieght and tire construction also play roles , I went w/17 wheels on the frt and 18" wheels on the back , both tires have the same sidewall height , 4.3" if I remeber correctly , I also got a top of the line bridgestone tire and the ride is good , I may have been happy with 18" wheel on the frt but I cant say for sure .

Mark