1971 Z28 - Buick Turbo

scpls19398

Hot Air Fan
Good afternoon,
What Is the major problem with installing into a camaro subframe? I have purchased a complete 1987 engine with ALL coponents and am not a stranger to the Buick as I own a Grand National. The plan is to install the motor and transmission into the Camaro, have an nice quiet ac street cruiser capable of mid 11 sec on drag radials. I know the motor is going to require up-grades and I already know what that is going to require, my question is do I have to have the crossmember modified to clear the pan, and would any of the aftermarket clips work. Any other firewall modifications, I will be setting the engine into the original sub next weekend to get som visualbut as i am sure one of these engines have ended up in a second generation camaro. Thank alot.
George

The late 70's Camaros had the 231 from the factory. I would think mainly motor mounts. I think the 2004r is the same legnth as a th350 so you may have to only slightly modify the crossmember.
As far as downpipe you will probably have to make your own.
Sounds cool. I know I thought about the same thing with my girls Z/28 but I would probably just drop an LS into it.

71 Z28

Good afternoon,
What Is the major problem with installing into a camaro subframe? I have purchased a complete 1987 engine with ALL coponents and am not a stranger to the Buick as I own a Grand National. The plan is to install the motor and transmission into the Camaro, have an nice quiet ac street cruiser capable of mid 11 sec on drag radials. I know the motor is going to require up-grades and I already know what that is going to require, my question is do I have to have the crossmember modified to clear the pan, and would any of the aftermarket clips work. Any other firewall modifications, I will be setting the engine into the original sub next weekend to get som visualbut as i am sure one of these engines have ended up in a second generation camaro. Thank alot.
George
I have a neighbor that is very impressed with my Turbo Buicks wanting me to do the same thing in a 78 Formula Firebird.Whatever you find out or run into please let me know.I already have a complete motor so he is anxious to get started!!!!

The late 70's Camaros had the 231 from the factory. I would think mainly motor mounts. I think the 2004r is the same legnth as a th350 so you may have to only slightly modify the crossmember.

To add to this, yes the Camaros did use the 3.8 engine but it wasn't until 1980, so you'll have to place the order for parts for a 1980 Camaro.

Also in 1980 and 1981 (before the Camaro changed body styles in 1982) the Camaro used both the 3.8 Buick engine as well as the 3.8 Chevy engine (229), both 2 bbl carbed.

However the vin code for the 229 V6 was a K and the 231 V6 was an A so tell them the 8th digit, or vin code for the engine is an A so they'll know what to get you.