You can type here any text you want

1978 Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickspec6231

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 1978 Turbo engine off of ebay. At the time of purchase it was not known what year it was, but it was complete including airbox, snorkle, wire harness and all for $75. I have heard that the cylinder heads are different in '78 then they are in the later years. I have a rebuilt NA '82 engine. Will the later model heads work on a '78 engine. I haven't had them off yet so I can't compare gaskets and such. Does anybody know where the differences are? This engine, or possibly a different one will be going into my 1962 Buick Special SW. But, in the end my SW will end up with a turbo engine.

I guess what I am also asking as an after thought is... Will the intake for the turbo setup of the '78 engine bolt onto the '79 and up heads?

Cylinder Head Photo Guide

This will give you some info but here's some pics for you to look at. this is a 8445 head (later model) versus the first gen of even fire heads. Huge difference in the port designs. The later heads will flow much better but you'll need to change the intake to the later model. This engine is classified as a before black engine so come join us there to get more info.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 139
Cylinder Head Photo Guide

This will give you some info but here's some pics for you to look at. this is a 8445 head (later model) versus the first gen of even fire heads. Huge difference in the port designs. The later heads will flow much better but you'll need to change the intake to the later model. This engine is classified as a before black engine so come join us there to get more info.:biggrin:

do you store your extra cylinder heads in a vat of salt water or something?

do you store your extra cylinder heads in a vat of salt water or something?

LOL The 8445 heads have been sitting in the weather for a while but I left the 78 heads with a friend.:mad: He had my last Buick before I came back to TX and took the scoop and carb off the engine.:mad: What was once a very expensive engine is now a boat weight.:mad: My H body will require a complete tubular frame to drive it again.:mad:

charlief1:

Thanks for the photos to show the difference. I guess I am now on the hunt for a 79-83 setup.

Back