You can type here any text you want

1978 Regal Front clip exchange

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I guess this fits here since there isn't really an exterior/body part and this is all preSFI stuff. How much work is it to replace the stock 1978 front clip with a later 4 headlight front end?

Thanks,

probably more than what it is worth. The doors are different on the pre 81 cars so you would probably need the doors too.

Is the fender and hood to header panel interface different? Its really the single headlight look that I mostly dislike. I know a parts Regal probably wouldn't be too hard to find to grab the whole doors from but thats a long way down the road. My girlfriend and I have agreed it would look cool with a WH1 paint job and a burgandy interior.

1980 has 4 headlights and will fit or get a century/regal wagon nose
up to 84 i believe
wont be the same as a gn nose but some improvement

Agreed on the improvement, reading the Regal history (unofficial I'm sure) it states the 1981 redesign is what eventually lead to the Grand National since it was the aerodynamic improvements of the 81+ design that made it dominant in racing. The 1980 nose looks alot like the LeSabre nose but is a very marked improvement over the single headlights.
If I was to swap noses for the 81+ style I'd need:
Hood, fenders, bumper, header panel, bumper fillers, doors
Would I also need inner fenders or are they the same? Was the Regal or compatable G-body models ever offered with an Aluminum hood or decklid ?

I do beleive the body lines are the same so you could hang the +81 coupe clip on that car. You'll need to use the correct radiator support so it bolts onto the frame.

I always wanted to mount the 79-80 Century SC/TC front clip on a +81 coupe. Just the opposite.

Edit. You'll need to swap everything foward of the firewall. Everything.

Hmmm... so I'd loose the Aluminum coresupport if it has one if I wanted to upgrade to the 81+ nose and have to find the matching 81+ aluminum one? Sounds like the 80 4 eye header panel is the way to go since it gets me most of the way to the look I want without the hassle of the coresupport, inner fenders... ect swap.

The 82-84 Regal 4 door sedan and wagon use the 4 headlamps and short hood too. That clip would be easier to find. The plastic wheelhouses are the same between the 81-87 Regal coupes and the 81-84 Regal sedans and wagon. All but the 81 should have the mounting bosses for the remote PS reservior and cruise control from a IC TR.

Well no LC2 in this car, just NA stuff though with the accessory drive I'm using off of an LC2 I'll need to put that resevior somewhere. Right now I'm leaning towards an expensive but more universally useable Street and Performance Hydroboost compatable reservior.
From reading your other posts I think the later front short nose with the 4 headlights and maybe find an aluminum hood would be the way to go. Did they make an aluminum decklid for the G-body?
However, for now I need to decide if I want to buy this an use it as a test vehicle pretty much as she sits minus drivetrain and shaft. Later I might turn her into a G-body NASCAR unit though with a real Buick 350.

Thanks for your help,

Yep. The 1978-80 Regal coupe used an aluminum deck lid. And I think there was also a non-turbo style aluminum hood on those years. Lots of aluminum on those older 78-80 vintage cars.

Cool... Any particular rhyme or distrobution clues as to what cars would get them and such? I know this one doesn't since the hood is one of the few parts of the car with rust of any kind on it.

Thanks,

you dont need to change your core support and it'd be foolish to listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.... they obviously have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

the guys you see running the aluminum core supports are using ones off of the earlier 78-80 bodied cars, they just drill a few holes to modify them to fit on the 81-87 cars....

Back