You can type here any text you want

1978 Regal Sport Coupe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

I have the 78 regal sport coupe that when I got it had a 229 chevy in it bc the turbo one blew up it had the hood for the turbo and everything but eventually got stolen and I was wondering where too get a hood for the 78 regal and were too find parts for the interior and maybe a turbo motor.  any information is greatly appreciated.

Shawn

I have the hood and motor now rich george. Do you know of anyone that has a pic of the hood orniment and did the regal have a center console because I have 2 screws in the floor like a console was there.
Thanks
Shawn

I don't have a picture of the hood ornament, but it's the same for all 1978/87 Turbo Regals, Centurys and LeSabres (the base is different).

They did have floor consoles and I'm pretty sure those were common to all 1978/87 Turbo Regals and Centurys. There were two styles, with and without floor shifters.

I went too your web site http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/exhaust.htm
Do you happen too have a better pic of the exhause system of a 79 turbo 3.8? I have not seen mine but the guy that took it out of the 79 that he has said there was a pipe that conected the 2 manifolds and one pipe came off the pasangerside to the cat and the passanger side also went too the turbo and off the turbo it went too the cat so you had too have both manifolds connected to each other too make the turbo work. Im not sure on this since I have my motor in Ohio in my grandma's garage and not here with me!
Shawn

Thanks for that rich george.
I have the fundamentals now on why you need both manifolds but now im wondering if you can get a dual exhaust like a Y pipe after the manifold or if you need the back pressure for the turbo.
Thanks
Shawn

There are many aftermarket exhausts for the Regal that split right after the converter into two resonators and tailpipes (check with Hooker to start).

With a turbo you want zero backpressure after the turbo. Any backpressure works against the turbo. Before the turbo has plenty of backpressure (~2x boost).

I'm using the hooker dual from a 87. It spits right after the cat or test pipe into a dual. I got it used for $50, it inclued test pipe(this replaces the cat) minus muffers. You can get some test pipes with a dump. When your at the track you unbolt the cover and it dump out about at the front of the passenger door.
Jim

Have you ever tried them dumps that you flip a lever and it comes out the side. I have seen them in a magazine and I also know the ones that your talking about. Jim Im learning about the turbos right now so when I go to put the 3.8 back into my 78 regal I dont get confused or do something stupid. Im hoping too have my regal restored back to original with in a year and a half. I have to do it slow because my wife doesnt like the car so Im on a budget on doing it.
Thanks for the help.
Shawn

What part number is stamped on the '78-'79 hood?? I just got given one but want to make sure it is one of those and not an '80 hood. Anybody need an early hood? Come and get it.

wheres it stamped at and I will go out and look. The part number that I have written down on it is PN 25500213 It is for 78-80 regal. In 81 it changed then from 82-87 the hood was the same.

Originally posted by adams55945
Have you ever tried them dumps that you flip a lever and it comes out the side. I have seen them in a magazine and I also know the ones that your talking about. Jim Im learning about the turbos right now so when I go to put the 3.8 back into my 78 regal I dont get confused or do something stupid. Im hoping too have my regal restored back to original with in a year and a half. I have to do it slow because my wife doesnt like the car so Im on a budget on doing it.
Thanks for the help.
Shawn
Yes when I was younger a used a set of those...got in to alittle trouble too. Don't open them on the street ;) They now make electic ones. Stick with the low tech bolt ones.
My wife HATES my car too, so I know right were you are coming from.
Jim

I think with the exception of Turbo-Rich and Tonya, all our wives hate our cars. :D

Hate is a strong word...

but "hate" doesn't begin to describe my wife's feelings toward the car. Granted, it looks like hell, doesn't run like it should, and takes up space in the garage. But I keep telling here about the "potential" of it, and reminding her that it keeps me off the streets (when it isn't running). :D

The interesting thing is that I can't get her nailed down to an "old" car that she likes. Sometimes she'll throw out the '60s Mustang or 1st gen Camaro/Firebird, but usually she has nothing to say. It makes compromise real difficult, but gives me tons of leverage since she offers no alternative.

My wife talks about getting an old car. She starts naming Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles and I cring. Then she moves onto convertibles. So, now the Interpid is pushing 130,000 miles and it's time for a new "family car". I figure a 2003 Sebring Convertible will kill two birds with one boulder. I'll just compare my parts spending to her monthly payments. That will keep here quiet for a few years. :D

Rich George I dont know if you have ever check this place out but it should only be a few hours from you.
www.daves-classic-cars.com its in glenarm IL. I drive past there on the way too my moms house. It usually has a good selection of old cars that can be restored.
I dont think my wife likes old cars at all. Once I get mine done it might goto my little brother for like 2 years so I can get a new toy. That wont be for a few more years.
Anyone know of where you can get a hood orniment repaired at? I have this guy who will sell me one cheap but it looks like it got ripped off the car instead of taken off. Was looking at it for a spare.
Thanks
Shawn

Back