You can type here any text you want

1980 Monte carlo turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
xhaust

exhaust upgrade is a good start, high flow cat, flowmaster 40s sound great and flow very well to quicken spool up. What motor? 4.1 i assume.. That might have the 800cfm Qjet, Some tweaks to the qjet helps dramaticly. You have a similar set up like my 79 lesabre. Im asking the same questions about preformance

just like an yother car- open up the exhaust side, then open up the intake side.
but, ultimately, an 84-87 motor would be a good way to easily make it faster- maybe you can get lucky and find a rusty T Type for a grand that runs good and swap everything from the gas tank to the motor to the suspension from that into your car.
someone had a 78 LeSabre at the Car Craft show in St Paul last summer that had what looked like a mostly stock 84/85 motor in his car, and it looked right at home.

Hi Guys! I hope I am still welcome here.

Yes there is allot you can do. I ran a 13.202 @ 100 MPH (when corrected to sea level it was a 12.98 pass).

Here is what I did. Ported heads, Oversized turbo (which Rich has now), MSD 6BTM (Which Jim has now). 2.5" down pipe, no cat, and 2.5" dual exhaust. Holley 780 carb. With the secondary limited to open only about 1/2 way. I found that any thing over 580 ~ 600 cfm the car would buck & Stumble.

Turn off the water supply to the carb pendulum (spelling). Plus a cold air intake. (Again keep the incoming air cold as possible)

Now this was in a 1980 OLDS. I did not run an ECM. And I had a rough time getting it to pass emissions.

3000 stall converter in a beefed up TH350, 3.42 gears. I Would leave @ 4# of boost and ran up to 22# with the over sized turbo. I would not go that high on a stock one, it would be making more heat than good air.

I did have a homemade electronic variable alky injection. But I found C16 fuel easier to tune (For me).

Rich, do you still have the links to the articles that Hot rod did?

Some folks want more than a 13 second car! :biggrin: but I still love the 78-85 turbo cars.

yeah, but if you stumble across a newer drivetrain, you'd be a few steps ahead of the game.

Not really, IMO. It's a LOT of work swapping drivetrains, much easier to tweak and tune what you have. My path to the low 14's was much easier and cheaper than a major overhaul of the car.

Now if you stumbled across a complete running car with the keys in it, that would be different. :wink:

I have a 3.8 motor in it..... Now I have one problem with it as i start the car and it warms up it starts to smoke near the turbo. and i look down and it seems like something is leaking. Seals?

Sorry about that angry face on my reply. I did not realize it was there. when I replied.

What are some performance parts I can add.

Not really performance related but just think.......
You're one of the only guys on this board that won't be offended when somebody says, "Hey, nice Monte Carlo". :D

We now return you to your in-flight movie. Hi-jack over.

You can swap 84-85 headers to get better flow then the cast irons ,might have to fab up a new up pipe i cant remember is been awhile since i had the a hot air car...they are fun mine ran 13.90's 13 years ago...also i fab up a (DP)fender well dump setup that help greatly...i was using the stock turbo ,but im sure that up sizing the turbo and a losser convertor would diffenetly help..

Back