You can type here any text you want

1981 turbo questions, need answers pls

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOELKY

I dont seem to hear anything going on when I get on the gas in my new but used 81 turbo regal. The only time the orange light on the boost gauge comes on is when I punch it at 65 or so on the freeway. do these turbo's whistle or make any noise at all? I did notice it has an adjustable waste gate actuator, so I tightened it up, to no change. There is a vaccume hose missing on the back of the actuator peice that connects to something else :confused: I cant find a engine diagram anywhere to trouble shoot what hose is missing. also where does the map sensor hose go, that is off too. I figure the combination of the two vaccume hoses causes the turbo not to spool??? I am new to these engine combo's, i'm a lost cause right now, please help!!! :eek:

Does the wastegate actuator rod connect in front or behind the pivot point on the wastegate? If behind (closer to the firewall):
1981 WASTEGATE ACTUATOR - For 1981, Buick changed the wastegate actuator from a normally closed design, to a normally open design. It was an attempt to improve fuel economy that was quickly abandoned in 1982 in favor of increased performance. (The NC design has more precise boost control.) The 1981 unit can be identified by the use of only one vacuum hose (instead of two). To accommodate this change, the wastegate lever on the elbow was rotated 180 degrees. A conversion is as simple replacing '81's actuator and elbow with '82/'83 units. If the turbocharger has been replace, this may have already been done.

more here: http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/tnotes.htm

The MAP should be connected to the same tubing as the wastegate actuator. You really need a good boost gauge to see what's going on.

the

actuator is closer to the firewall, I really need a picture diagram to see where the hose to the map physically goes, I have an ideal, but need to verify. Did these cars come with adjustable wastegate actuators? this one has one, and I believe they disconnected the vaccume lines to keep the turbo from spooling, the car was owned for its life by an elderly lady who was driving around with a handicapped placcard in Lancaster Ca. no rust, just dust. :D all help will be appreciated. thanks

One hose from the 90 elbo goes to the wastegate actuator (blow with an air hose,it will move) and the other hose goes to the carburetor intake pletum(right before the 6 bolts to the turbo housing). I hope this will clear it up a little for you. :smile:

thank

that is all connected though, my issue is where the map sensor hose goes to, the hose is missing, and I have no clue to where it goes? I really need a diagram here, or some really discriptive words here :eek: but thanks again.

thanks

thanks for that, now I know the other hoses are hooked up, i'll hook up the map later. thanks again for the help. :cool:

Back