1983 TType - $3500/trade for quad

bakerlaw67

BQQSTED
This RUST FREE ’83 project car could be a Grand National that never was. As all Turbo Regal fans know, there was a GN in 1982, and a restyled GN with fuel injection in 1984. So with no Grand National in 1983, the TType was the only turbocharged Regal available. With factory stainless steel, tubular headers the stock engine horsepower was 180 HP@ 4,000 rpm with torque of 280 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm. It also has a THM 200-R4 (4-spd auto) and a 3.42:1 rear end. It was also equipped with aluminum bumper supports and brake drums, power windows, factory rear sway bar and “blackout” trim.

The following are new or rebuilt parts (within last 4 years/5000 miles):
- Engine – Less than 3000 miles since rebuild
- Turbo – Rebuilt CHRA installed around same time (original CHRA included)
- Carburetor – Rebuilt computer controlled carb (original carb also included)
- Accel performance HEI coil
- Accel performance HEI cap
- Front rotors, calipers and pads
- Headliner and visors
- Windshield
- Cargo Springs
- Rear tires

The following parts have been installed:
- G-body (Grand Prix) front jounce bars (triangle braces)
- Grand National seats with power driver adjustment
- Vinyl upper door panels
- 1979 speedometer (no trip odo/no pin to stop needle @ 85mph) (original included)
- Grand National dash plate
- 1987 amber parking lights (original clear lights included)

The (minor) “issues”:
- NEEDS PAINT. Factory paint had cracked past primer. I removed paint from hood and roof, but whole car should probably be stripped, or heavily sanded.
- No exhaust beyond 24” past catalytic converter (not too loud for regular driving)
- Door seals and window felts dried up and blown away
- Both front fillers are cracked (but not brittle)
- Minor dent repair/body finishing

Extras
- 4 GTA rims in functional/driver condition. Fronts are sandblasted to bare aluminum w/1 polished out as proof of concept . (2 front 2 back w/parts of aluminum spacers to make rears fit on front of a Regal)
- Service manuals and performance books
- Promotional materials – showroom brochures, salesman info, factory pics
- Original chrome rocker and wheel well trim
- Various extra switches, emblems, etc

The rest of the story.
I bought this car in 2001 from an ebay seller in Oregon. The car ran, but had bad seals in the turbo and smoked badly. It hadn’t been used regularly for a while and had accumulated a pretty good layer of filth. It was originally equipped with a “Limited” interior which was puffy bench seats, and cloth door panels covered with previously destroyed wood grained plastic panels. It has been garage kept since I purchased it and with the exception of minor part replacement, has been maintained by professional mechanics. I had originally wanted to build a GN clone, but felt that plan fell by the wayside with other projects and priorities. On about 3 or 4 dates I ran down a dragstrip to see if any of the improvements I was making were having any effect.

This car has absolutely NO rust through or even bubbles. There is slight surface rust on some areas that have been sanded to metal, but it sands right off.

This car would make an EXCELLENT host to a SFI turbo engine, or a fantastic car with a little finishing. We all know what is happening to the prices of “clones” or replicas of the great ones (ZL1, Hemi Cuda, anything SS, GS, GSX, etc) and this would be a great starting place for a high quality clone since it will always be an original turbo car. Although it sports a factory silver/black paint job, the inside of the trunk and the door jambs are shiny black. Tons of pictures are available for those who are genuinely interested in purchasing, and I can take pictures of anything that isn’t already shown.

Harboring no illusions that I will ever get what I have into it after buying, shipping, rebuilding, repairing and improving. Therefore, I am mainly interested in a trade for equal value of a name brand quad (Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda/Kawasaki/etc). I am willing to transport up to about 300 miles from metro Phoenix if the deal is right. I don’t want anybody’s junk, so don’t ask. I’m being up front with the condition of this car, and I expect the same courtesy. I will NOT part this car out, nor sell any of the extra parts. I will ignore any request to do so.

Before Black – a website about pre-GN turbo regals.
Click here

30+ photos of the car
click here

C'mon guys. Over 200 people looked, but nobody has a question, comment or offer?

Final bump. I'd sure hate to see this car turned into a low rider, but if it doesn't sell, I'll have to put an ad in the Phoenix papers.
Photobucket album - LOTS of pix
83Regal001.jpg