You can type here any text you want

1984 ecm computer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimski

In over my head
Is there anyway to hook up a laptop to the ecm of a 1984 gm ecm.
Can the chip be tweaked??

I asked this a while ago and was told to ask TT to see what he coud do. I haven't gotten to that point so I haven't asked yet.

Turbo tweak says it cannot be done.:rolleyes: .The chip in the ecm comes out of the socket thou.With that being said i would assume it is programmable.:confused:

Well they used to make chips for the carbed cars so I wonder why he couldn't do it?

Carb ECM's speak a different language than FI.

The secondaries on elelctornic Q-jet are not ECM controlled, so WOT tuning can still be done the old fashioned way. What else would you want to change?

Carb ECM's speak a different language than FI.

The secondaries on elelctornic Q-jet are not ECM controlled, so WOT tuning can still be done the old fashioned way. What else would you want to change?

True true,Nothing really,just thought that the chip could be reprogrammed for performance,since the ecm controls mixture,timing ect...Right now the car feels like it is tuned for economy,But when i put the pedal to metal it does feel like a different story.Trying to squeeze everything she's got.The car is great on gas too i could spare mpg for mph.

The seconardies don't start opening until about 90% throttle position. Basically you're either at WOT or not - not much in between. Sort of Jekyll and Hyde.

Accel Batch DFI

Is there anyway to hook up a laptop to the ecm of a 1984 gm ecm.
Can the chip be tweaked??

You will want to convert to the '87 ECM or go aftermarket.

ACCEL batch DFI's go for $450 or so "Used" on EBAy if you desire to play with a laptop.

I might help to put the car/engine in signature so we know what we're talking about. ;)

Presumably it's a 1984 NA V6. Started life with a good ol' electronic carburetor.

Back