You can type here any text you want

1984 GN with stock ecu, want to put in 86 ecu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trucky12

I have an 84 gn all stock ecu. I have a ecu from a 86 that I was told I should put in. I am very mechanically inclined but new to these turbo cars, always wanted one, now I got one and am in love but need to figure them out. Anyway, if I plug that in, whats it gonna do, or what else do I need to make it work. If I get a turbo tweak chip, what do I need and what will it do. Any help is appreciated, Thank You

if it has a GN chip in it, then it should be a plug and play deal.
if not a GN chip, then it might run good but it wouldn't be wise to build up the boost, since the timing and fuel maps won't be set up properly and you could wind up with holy pistons.
right now, my 84 has an ecm i got from a junkyard. i think it's from a LeSabre. it runs good- smoother than the 84 ecm with the 84 chip- but i haven't tried building boost with it. and i won't.
it's a good idea to pony up the $85 for the Turbo Tweak chip to take full advantage of the ecm. i might order mine this week.

I actually can help here. But it is time to go to bed. Post or call tomorrow--847-836-6225. BRAD

I have an 84 gn all stock ecu. I have a ecu from a 86 that I was told I should put in. I am very mechanically inclined but new to these turbo cars, always wanted one, now I got one and am in love but need to figure them out. Anyway, if I plug that in, whats it gonna do, or what else do I need to make it work. If I get a turbo tweak chip, what do I need and what will it do. Any help is appreciated, Thank You

Did you get a chance to read the sticky? :cool:

Ok so I can plug it in just fine, say i order that chip, Do i just install chip and go, or do I need to mess with anything else. Thanks i appreciate it

Ok so I can plug it in just fine, say i order that chip, Do i just install chip and go, or do I need to mess with anything else. Thanks i appreciate it

Well, it's hard to say if you will need to mess with anything.
If everything works fine (TPS, MAF, O2, IAC, FP), you should not have to mess with anything.
You will need to let TurboTweak know what you decide to do with the IAT.

I went to turbotweak chip and it wants to know all about injectors and such, I have no idea what injectors or fuel pump is in it to know what chip etc etc. Now what

I went to turbotweak chip and it wants to know all about injectors and such, I have no idea what injectors or fuel pump is in it to know what chip etc etc. Now what

If the car is 100% stock, just fill in "28lb" injectors.
Either way, you need to change the fuel pump and add a hotwire kit.

Back