You can type here any text you want

1986 Regal Turbo Timing Chain Question ...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1980 Buick

While "nosing around" my engine (and theirs NO Problem with it) ... I decided to pull the timing cover and low and behold the timing chains very "sloppy" and the cam buttons gone (or "worn") into the front cover.

*I noticed while is was up on the rack, and that I could hear / or "feel" slop in the chain ...

ALSO: *can one JB weld the "sink hole" that the plastic cam button made ? (then install the revised "Bering" on the cam end) ? on the timing cover ? < or must cover be replaced >

The oil pump looks fine ... BUT: would you recommend an upgrade ? (ie millings with "high output" pump) or just replace the gears with stock /& leave it alone. *again, no problems.

Also: can someone recommend what parts to use 4 parts? (OEM, Perf. etc ...) *The cars 100% stock.
Thanks so much in advance and you help is appr. ;)

Just upgrade the cam button to the new roller style. Once you do that the cover never sees friction in that area. As far as the pump, there's no reason to get the HV setup. It's just extra money and an extra load on the timing chain and front cam bearing. I'm also a big fan of paying extra for the coated GM timing set. They last for 20 years or 150,000 miles are are quite enough to not disturb the knock sensor. Plus you can retain the tentioner.

Just upgrade the cam button to the new roller style. Once you do that the cover never sees friction in that area. As far as the pump, there's no reason to get the HV setup. It's just extra money and an extra load on the timing chain and front cam bearing. I'm also a big fan of paying extra for the coated GM timing set. They last for 20 years or 150,000 miles are are quite enough to not disturb the knock sensor. Plus you can retain the tentioner.

Understood. So the "depression" (hole) worn into the covers OK too leave alone ? *(It's about as deep as a nickel in depth)
AND: Who has the GM Timing Chain "set" ? (any GM Dealership ?) or Highway Stars / the like .

Thanks !

As long as the hole doesn't hit water, you're fine. I did see one that was worn funny and had a point in the middle. If you have that, you might want o knock it down flush.
I know the bottom gear is discontinued from GM but they can still be had at the parts store along with the tentioner. Last I checked specialadditions.com had them and NOS4GN probably has them as well.

Back