1987 T Type for sale

fastdavedk

I purchased a 1987 T Type from the estate of a NASA engineer who used the car as his daily driver. I have a sizeable packet of receipts for parts purchased and work he had done to the car. For example I have a receipt for when he had the steering wheel recovered. I believe the front cover and timing chain were replaced as were the valve springs but the engine has not been rebuilt.
The car is immaculate with dark cherry paint and camel cloth bucket seat interior. The car has approximately 130,000 miles as it shows 23,000 miles and I was told it was driven some 5-7000 miles with the odometer broken.
The engine is all stock except maybe an rjc plate and a different chip. The stereo is stock, the ac will freeze you and I had the transmission rebuilt. The turbo cover is missing. Currently there are GNX lookalike wheels on it that are correct in the rear but with spacers in the front as they came off a firebird and do not have the correct backspacing. I have the stock wheels and tires too. I am asking $9,500.00 and will have a friend take some pictures if anyone is interested.

First impression...........too much dough.

Pictures might help though. Lots of nice cars out there for 10k.

I am in Houston. I am willing to look at it for any "out of towners" that are interested.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it myself.

fastdavedk, where are you located?

In am located in nw houston; off 290 just inside the beltway.

i looked through my receipts and realized the car has more stuff on it than i originally listed. it has an adjustable fuel regulator, hot wire, after market fuel pump, rjc plate and aluminized exhaust without a cat.

as to the price, i based it in part on not having to paint the car, buy bumper fillers, redo the interior, etc. the hidden costs always bite me when i buy one. this one has been meticulously maintained with receipts for everything including $5.00 parts and that record keeping and the condition persuaded me to buy it.

it is for sale becasue i have built a new, hopefully hot motor for my gnx and need money for a turbo, injectors and so on.

thanks for the emails

You have a GNX and you're putting a modded motor in it? :confused:

Many left nuts have been offered for 1 of 547. ;)

I say B.S.

Let's see proof. :rolleyes:

I was most amused by your analogy and in checking thank goodness i still am fully equipped and yes i own gnx #186 and yes i have built a hopefully hot enough motor to run high 10's low 11's combo. the car has a very interesting history where part of the money i paid for it went to the U.S. Treasury as allegedly the previous owner was incarcerated for certain import activity.

the odometer shows 55k miles. unfortunately the jacket and the booklet and the ceramic turbo are long gone. i have pulled the motor and trans out to be to be reimplanted later.

the previous owner had put in special axles, aluminum radiator, etc. i ran it with the original motor and cracked the 12's with a 12.95 at 105. whoo hoo.

for those of you who have not driven a gnx they are very solid and quick to respond to steering input and they bite like no other car when launched. i don't intend to tear up the car and believe that my goal can be achieved based on what i have read for many other combos. i have been thrown off the track before for going too fast in other cars but usually run like they do in the throttlestop 8.90, 9.90 classes; tuning by mile per hour.

in my opinion the x was designed to be driven often and drag raced some; not cut up and abused nor rmounted on a pedestal. that is why i bought one.

Why why why

:confused: :confused: in my opinion the x was designed to be driven often and drag raced some; not cut up and abused nor rmounted on a pedestal. that is why i bought one. :confused: :confused:

Then why in the world are you hacking into one? You do that stuff with a gn or T Type not a GNX. See this is what happens when yuppies and money come together in the same place!! ARGHH!

But hey its your car, if you want to destroy a special piece of History, thats your right. Just hope you realize that your gonna get quite a bit of slack from others.

DAve

i don't mind having people disagree with me; i welcome other people's opinions and consider everyone's input. if others want to give me a hard time for my decision that is okay; i respect their opinions.

however, i don't think it is right to characterize and disparage someone as a yuppie with money when you don't know them. that speaks poorly of the speaker.

and for the record, the car is not going to be cut up for a cage or wheel tubs or anything else. i have seen and read about many that run hard but look stock. that is my plan.

I agree

You are completely correct, it was unfair to put you in said class. Often my sarcastic nature offends. :biggrin:
DAve

in my book you are a good guy to follow up like that and sometimes my sense of humor is too sarcastic for some people.
i hope we can have more emails back and forth about these cars as i am new to actively participating on this board and have had a few turbo buicks but never really tried to get one to go fast.

Is the car still available?

I'd like to have a look.

Let me know.

Rich

Evaddave 87gn said:
:confused: :confused: in my opinion the x was designed to be driven often and drag raced some; not cut up and abused nor rmounted on a pedestal. that is why i bought one. :confused: :confused:

Then why in the world are you hacking into one? You do that stuff with a gn or T Type not a GNX. See this is what happens when yuppies and money come together in the same place!! ARGHH!

But hey its your car, if you want to destroy a special piece of History, thats your right. Just hope you realize that your gonna get quite a bit of slack from others.

DAve

It's a car. It was made to be driven. He wants to drive it faster. If you want a piece of history go to a museum. I have a strong dislike people that think cars should be taken out once a year, driven around the block and then put back in their airtight garage with 4 guards on duty 24/7...

To the owner of the GNX,

I live right down 290 form you and hopefully will see your GNX roaming around sometime. :cool: