You can type here any text you want

1988 801 SFI non turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dualsport650

I know this may not go in this area, just it is the closest area I could find for my question. I have a Jeep with a 225 V6 and I was thinking that fuel injection would be a nice upgrade. I found a 1988 3.8 SFI code 25528801 complete engine with wiring harness and a 700r4 off a straight four or small V6 Chevy. He is asking $150. It appears the the crankshaft end where the flex plate bolts on is way smaller then the 225. So maybe I would have to use an automatic transmission only.
I read about someone putting a rear wheel drive 3.8 turbo in a FWD car. Is it possible to install a FWD engine in a RWD car? And if not is a complete engine worth $150?

TIA Matt

It's worth $150
YES YES AND YES you can infact put that FWD engine in a RWD chassis. The FWD engines have the smaller bellhousing pattern so you will have to use a auto trans with that same smaller bellhousing. You can go the other way with V8 auto transmissions too. You can use the 4L60/65/80/85E late model transmissions with the removable bell housings OR use the earlier 700R4 or TH350/400 3 speeds with a bellhousing adaptor to be able to mate it to the smaller housing on the FWD blocks.

OK, I had read somewhere that the starter might also be on the wrong side. I am going to double check if the 700 bolts to the engine in a hour or two. I really had wanted to stick with the manual transmission and that does not appear to be an option with this motor. The problem with the automatic is my Jeep is a CJ5 and the wheelbase is a little short for auto's. I may pick up the whole package for a future project. Or I need to sell my CJ5 and find a CJ7 that needs a new heart.

No, you need a CJ8. The combo you need to look at is available. There's and adaptor that will let you hook up a normal GM RWD tranny to it but you're stuck with an auto. The adaptor is around $700 though.

are you saying the 1988 v6 was with the 700R4 trans from the seller? I'm a little confused...by the way, the FWD 3.8s are the same as the RWD 3.8s, with the only exceptions of the bellhousing bolt pattern....I';m aware that theres Gertag/Muncie 282 4 speed manual, 284 5 speed manual, Saab/GM F40 6 speed manuals that will bolt up to the FWD engine...but those are all FWD/FIero trans....I'm not sure if the Chevettes' 4 speed or 5 speed manuals were in the same bellhousing....with the only known one having an Isuzu engine on it

are you saying the 1988 v6 was with the 700R4 trans from the seller?
No the seller was working on a project TR6 I think he said. He had someone else gather parts for him a while back. I was hoping to just use just the engine maybe put the 700r4 on craigslist. But the pattern is right for the 700 to bolt right up to the 3.8. At this point unless I find another project to install both the transmission and the engine together I may pass on picking it up.

Back