1996 Saab 9000 CS, 95K, $2,800

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
We bought this car in 2000 with 51K miles on it. My wife drove it daily but works from home so she only put about 2-3K a year on it. I lost my company ride in 2013 and started using it for my daily from January to present. Now with a new job and a lease car, I no longer need this car. I've done regular maintenance to it, oil always changed at least every 3k. It has new belt, all new cooling hoses, new muffler and nice stainless tip, tires good, brakes good, serviced trans filter and fluid, new trans mount, ignition module 2 years old, new power steering pump last year also. I put a nice Kenwood CD, two amp system (one RF and one Sony) and 6 JBL speaker stereo in it with an 8" JL sub in a custom tucked-in box in the natch which all sounds great. Original spare and tool kit still in car. Just did A/C this winter with new evaporator and expansion valve. Very cold and heat is very warm. Heated seats work very well. I have receipts for most every part I have replaced or added and oil changes are documented. I can't think of anything that does not work. Two keys, no remote fobs.

Car has some rock chips on hood, some scratches by hood ornament, and just a few light door dings. Leather is in good shape - driver seat shows creases but not worn through - I replaced the side bolster last year also as it was wearing. When I installed the stereo I pulled a fuse and the car died. When I restarted it, the SRS light came on and has been on for 12 years - I never cleared it - I can't believe the bulb hasn't burned out. Power antenna needs oil every 6 months or so - it decides not to retract occasionally so I wipe it and oil it and then it works all over again. Engine seeps oil but no leaks on driveway. Never seen it smoke and does not use oil otherwise. Some vibration in drive at idle - likely will need engine mounts at some point I am guessing.

Car is straightforward to maintain and everything is simple. 2.3 Turbo with a front mount stock and a sneeze valve stock - you can hear it, it's funny. Gets 20 in town, 24 on highway. Green with light tan leather, no sunroof. Central locking and it is a 4 door hatchback though it does not look like one. It's a great car but now it's just an extra car I don't need. No wind noise, no rust anywhere, I wash it all the time even in winter. Good in the snow (duh). Not a hot rod, it will go but I think it has lasted so well because I am gentle with it.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG