You can type here any text you want

1998 Firebird

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Justin231

I was out for a little cruise friday night and I came upon a black 98 firebird. It sounded real mean, flowmasters no catalytic. I was going the speed limit and pulled up next to him gave it a little gas and let off before the turbo hit just so he could hear my whistle. We got out of traffic and went from a 45mph roll. He pulled 2 cars on me instantly and then my turbo hit and initially closed the gap, but he kept pulling about 1 a car every two seconds. So after about 5 seconds of racing we were going 75 and he had a few cars on me and I shutdown. We caught a light after this. I PBed up a few RPMs and then let it sit back down...I didnt want to launch with boost because I have street tires and I would spin the whole race. So light goes green he hits it fairly hard and I ease into at 3k untill about 15 then I hammer it...We were dead even untill 45 then he pulled a foot on me every other second so I shutdown. I pulled up next to him again and I tried to get his attention to give him thumbs and let him know I acknowledged his victory, but I couldnt get even a glance from him. Once I get my DRs I will be able to launch alot better :)

sounds to me you raced an early LS1

they are no slouches that's for sure especially if you are near stock...time to get more MODS:D

MODMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODS

Sooner or later, we are gonna have to ask you to turn in your
wastegate:D
Don't race anymore LS1 cars, period. You are not equipped to handle them, and you are messing up the turbo buick fear that has been instilled into every gearhead this side of the mississippi
:D
do some mods!!!! then go find that car and hand him his ass.

ONCE AGAIN! IF YOU ARE DETERMINED TO RACE YOUR TB IN STOCK FORM, DON'T MESS WITH ANY 4TH. GEN. F-BODIES!!
THEY WILL CLEAN YOUR CLOCK! (ESPECIALLY '98'S AND UP)

Heh. I don't race anyone in my GN, no traction & not enough boost....IT'S STOCK! A few tweaks could change that...like those on the TTA. I'll pick on the usual LS1's and Mudstains in that.

So let me get this correct you went out with a 14 second car and tryed picking on a car that will do 13 seconds from the factory and got it handed to you.

Are you suprised??
Do you always pick fights that you can't win?
Either mod the car so it stands a fighting chance or quit trying to race cars that can beat you stock from the factory!!

You are making us look bad.
:)

Ya I agree with the racing stock part for sure. The sad part is times have changed alot in the last few years, and someone will always try and race their stock TR no matter what.

What I would suggest is if somebody wants to race then you set up the time and place. Go ahead of time, setup, run your 20psi with some xylene or whatever, bring your slicks, dump your exhaust. Then see whats gonna happen, street racing has no rules, so make every advantage you can get. If he doesnt want to, then there you go, fear was instilled, and smack talk all the way home. Run what you brung are the rules.

At the track I walk many ls1's, the street is much much different.

For heavens sake if anything, please please please at least do the basic upgrades. You are not going to run into a formula TA anymore, maybe the rare gta but dont bank on a race.

And as stated above, if you want to do it from stop light to stop light, stay away from 4th gen camaro cause they will rock you stock, and that is with basic mods on you TR, unless you have drag radials then maybe you stand a chance with high boost.

I got the point after the first guy told me not to race stock. I am going to do a few things to the car that do not improve performance, just ensure the longevity of the car. Then I will go onto performance upgrades.

Originally posted by onefastjackass
So let me get this correct you went out with a 14 second car and tryed picking on a car that will do 13 seconds from the factory and got it handed to you.

Are you suprised??
Either mod the car so it stands a fighting chance or quit trying to race cars that can beat you stock from the factory!!

Finally someone tells it like it is------about time:)

Originally posted by onefastjackass

Are you suprised??

My first visit to this board. Let me say Hello.

Do not worry. The GN will never look bad.
As an owner of a 2002 WS6 Trans Am I want to clarify what has been said above.
My particular car with the only mod being a lid dynoed 316 hp and 325 Tq at the wheels. This equates to 372 at the crank, give or take. This was done very early on with not much on the odometer. I will be going back shortly to see what gains there might have been with the added breakin mileage. The best so far that I have run at the track with street tires was a 13.3 et with a trap speed of 106 mph. I hope to do better once I get a set of drag radials. I will let you guys know of any progress made. If any of you are in the Miami /Ft lauderdale/ Palm beach area and are having a meet would love to check your cars out. Let me know. Some people I know are trying to organize a track day at Bradenton son. I am sure some of you might interested in this. Let me know.

Finally, There is an awesome mystique about the GN/GNX. I have never met one on the street and I am sure when I do my palms might be slightly wet modded or not.

As you can see by my sig. I own one of each. I have to tell you the GN gets the most looks and is a blast to drive. But, it's not FASTER than the Z. It is does seem quicker at those "red light" races. However, because I can't race two cars at once, I can't tell for sure.

For now I'm leaving it stock for two reasons. The first and most important is that it's on the CARB(Calif. Air Resources Board's) "most wanted list". Although it's stock, it took a week and a half to smog when I bought it. It is classified as a "gross polluter",..and will have to be smogged every year at renewal until it passes cleanly on the first try.

So, until I can do that and get back to a normal two year window, I'm going to leave it stock.

But, it's still a blast to drive. I belong to a Vintage Vette club, an LS1 club, and a GN club and everyone in the first two organizations is mesmerized by the mystique and reputation of the GN.

It is also the only car I don't leave alone on the street for more than an hour, even though I have a state of the art alarm system and a hidden fuel cutoff.

One last point, all the ricer owners WANT the GN. They respect the Z and are curious about the midyear Vette, but they want the GN.

It is the coolest car I own and in most ways, the most fun to drive. Like the Vette, I'm keeping it forever.

mods

Very minimal mods are needed to close the gap on that LS1. With a 14" K&N behind grill,gutted cat,STOCK chip,235/60/15 BFG Radial T/A (not drag radials),boost @ 20psi with bleeder valve I ran consistent 8.50's in 1/8th(13.20's 1/4). On 93 pump gas and 104+ octane booster. I use tolulene or xylene now. 4psi launch and 1.9 60ft and sway bar unhooked. Thats all.
With Reds 93 chip,race gas and goodyear 225/60(2.1 best 60ft),2800 12" convertor it ran 8.30's(8.29 once)-with 275/50 BFG drag rads it went 7.90's leaving @ 1psi and a 1.75 60ft.
Every car is different as I have seen cars with lots of mods barely faster and some slower,some a lot faster.
Get a scan tool and learn to tune it! Learn to launch! 60 foot makes or breaks a race!
:D

Basically, the more air you can push, the better. I have taken both my brights out and fabricated grilles for them and one is to keep the engine cool and the other is basically ram air through an ATR filter box into a 15" k&n It added 2mph and dropped .1. You can adjust the fuel pressure accordingly if you have the resources.

Back