You can type here any text you want

2-12" or 1-15"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mako

I did a search on this but couldn't find the anxwers. I am in the market for new subs and amp. The amp I will decide on later to go with the subs.

What I am looking at now are...

1) Two Rockford HE series 12"s

Or

2) One HX2 15"

These two choices require a box of about the same volume but a different shape of course. I was wondering which would have the most output. Also would one sound cleaner than the other?

Originally posted by Mako
I did a search on this but couldn't find the anxwers. I am in the market for new subs and amp. The amp I will decide on later to go with the subs.

What I am looking at now are...

1) Two Rockford HE series 12"s

Or

2) One HX2 15"

These two choices require a box of about the same volume but a different shape of course. I was wondering which would have the most output. Also would one sound cleaner than the other?

Generally the rule of thumb is the 2 12" subs will have more punch because they have more piston area than the single 15". It will also depend on how much power you supply to each combo. Its kind of hard to tell which one will play cleaner until they are both hooked up and played in the same environment.

So the amount of power is as important as piston area? Rockford makes at least 3 types of dual voice coil subs that I have seen and power handling looked to be the only difference. TIA for your replies.

Originally posted by Mako
So the amount of power is as important as piston area?

If you use the same power for a single 15" and dual 12", the duals will hit harder than the single because of piston area. Sometimes you can make up the difference of piston area using more power. I personally would go with the dual 12s.

I had a '80 Corvette that I wanted to put a set of 12" subs in but I had to build a larger cabinet to make it work but I wanted to keep it as low key as possible so I built a single 15" sub that actually used less space and used a larger amp to make up for the piston area. It metered at 135 db in '88 and was very strong in my power class.

Back