2004R-no lockup,no stall-will it fail completely?

350Rocket

Hope you guys can give me some advice. The lockup quit working in my 2004R in my winter beater a couple months ago. It has about 200k on the trans, pulled from my old Caprice. When I first got it there was a bit of a whine noise in park (when it had less than 120k on it). The noise went away somewhere over a period of a few years and 80k miles and now the lockup doesn't engage at all.

Also since I installed it in this car and possibly the last year or so it was in the car, there is no power at all from a stop, can't even brake torque the tires loose, so I don't think there is any torque multiplication. It also makes a buzzing noise if put in low gear, or heavy throttle in reverse (when stuck in snow). Other than this it still shifts fine and fluid looks fine.

I'm doing 140miles a day round trip (mostly at 70mph) with this car and wasting a lot of fuel because of lockup not working. It will be parked mid April or May when I pull the Cutlass out for the summer. I work at a garage and can probably get a new torque converter installed (if that's what it needs) for a decent price, and possibly make back most of the $$ over the next few months on fuel savings depending on how much it helps. It would also be nice to have some power from a stop.

Anyways, do you think the torque converter is likely to fail completely based on the symptoms? Anyone have these problems before? I did try searching for a while but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Sounds like the Stator Clutch is free wheeling all the time + Lockup clutch not working. Should replace Converter before it sends crap through your Trans.

Just an update, I replaced the converter a week ago, it does perform better because of the 2025 stall (up from 1400 stock) unfortunately the lockup still does not work. I've already replaced the TCC solenoid and had the electrical all checked out and apparently its all working properly. The scanner does show the ECM commanding lockup. Assuming all of this stuff is working right, any other ideas? Possible sticking valve in the trans? Thanks guys. I'm running out of patience, but the car has 322k miles on it and the engine is running perfect still so I want to keep it going to see how long it will last, but I need better fuel mileage.

oil from the open 1/2 shift valve flows to the pilot circuit on the end of the lockup solenoid and valve.There is a screen in the pump that filters this oil and is known to become clogged.heres how to know what is going on if the lock up valve in the pump isnt stuck.take out the valve and then the springs.install the valve back in the pump and then the springs.put the car in drive and see if it stalls the motor.This is the first check.

Thanks very much. I will see if I can attempt this check at work the next few days. I'm hoping it's just the lock up valve is stuck.