2004r TV cable slack when running.

Marksman

Hey everyone, first post here. I just installed a 2004r in a 68 Camaro in place of the TH350.

Installation went fairly smoothly. After installation, I adjusted the TV cable (the best I could, anyways. It doesn't ratchet out when it's pulled) and put fluid in it. Started it up, took it up the street about 500 feet and realized it wouldn't shift out of first gear and it coasted when I let off the gas. Pulled it back into the shop thinking I had just mid adjusted the cable to find that when the engine is idling, the cable is slack and out all the way. When the car is shut off it has normal tension.

Found 2 posts where people had the same issue as me and both were caused by a stuck tv valve. Both said that the problem was solved by pulling the TV plunger and cleaning it.

I just did that, and with a flat tip I pushed the valve that's up in the hole numerous times thinking it may be sticky. Put the plunger back in and everything seemed In order.

Filled the trans and started and it's doing the same as before. The car is going on the power tour in a few weeks and I need it roadworthy...

Has anyone had similar issues or have any insight on what may be causing the problem?

I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!

I would look into the reason why the adjuster won't ratchet. You should be able to pull it back towards the firewall, then rotate the throttle to wide open and it will adjust itself. When you let off the throttle, the cable should not go slack, but retain tension by the TV spring. Look for hang-ups to the smooth operation of the cable.

when i was goofing with mine i ended up putting a spring in the "deep" end to force the valve back. i also cut a spring down to put in the "front" of the valve.
have you been to www.tvmadeez.com and read up on the tv system?

I need to figure out why it won't ratchet, but that isn't the problem. The cable never is slack when the car isn't running, but when you start the car it goes slack. The transmission Is physically pushing the cable out as far as it can.

What do you mean by "Deep" end ? It has a spring in the bore pushing out on the plunger and there appears to be a spring loaded valve or something further up in the bore. I have spent many hours reading up on the tv system. I despise it.

Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like the throttle valve assist pressure is overcoming the throttle valve pressure. There is a circuit in the valvebody that puts pressure on the back of the throttle valve plunger to assist the T.V. cable so it doesn't take so much force to extend the cable giving a better pedal feel. As asked above, who built the trans.? What valvebody and throttle valve bushing is in the trans?