2014 GSCA TSO Results

HighPSI

Staff member
Wednesday was a rain out, so Thursday everyone was itching to make some passes. Dave Fiscus gave us a glimpse of what was to come when he made a 7.97 pass then turned things up a bit and ran a 7.75@180mph pass. Unfortunately, he broke a cylinder head on tha pass and was out for the weekend. Several other racers made partial passes.
On Friday we had peer tech and qualifying. I was pleased to see that we ended up with 21 cars competing for the 16 TSO spots. We kept the TSM qualifying separate and then put the 3 TSM cars in the ladder Saturday.
After the first round of qualifying, we had 3 cars in the 7's. Don Cruz went #1 with a 7.791@178.38. Gary Harmon followed him with a 7.831, followed up Tony Gomes with a 7.91. Jimmy Morrison ran a 8.137, Billy T ran a 8.197, Todd Humphries went 8.295, and Ross Roman rounded out the 8 second guys with an 8.867. In the 9's were car # 7350 with a 9.058, Tom Robison 9.271, Paul Dubois 9.392, Race Jace 9.650, and Martin Riendeau 9.795. There were several other cars that didn't meet the 9.99 class minimum.
Second round Tony Gomes took over the #1 spot with a 7.732, Billy T 8.588, Ross Roman 8.779, Paul Dubois 9.236, Martin Riendeau 9.261, Dave England 9.583. Don Cruz had a transmission failure that took him out of the event. Tom Robison, Todd Humphries, and Jason Cramer all had aborted passes.
On Saturday we had the last round of qualifying. Most racers elected to skip this round and get ready for eliminations. Brad Tennyson arrived the evening before and had one shot to get in. Unfortunately, his transmission was hurt and he didn't get in the field. Ross Roman went fastest with an 8.901, Martin Riendeau 9.093, Dave England 9.193, Paul Dubois went a 9.302 but hurt something and was unable to continue. Jimmy Morrison, Jason Cramer, Todd Humphries, and Tom Robison all had aborted passes.

First round:

In an epic TSM match up, and one of the closest races of the event, Jason White ran a 9.232 to edge out John Plog's 9.235

Richie Balcom ran a 8.969 and to take out Martin Riendeau, who ran a 9.111

Dave England had a bracket car. He ran a 9.190 to take out a coasting Ross Roman who broke

In the biggest upset of the class, Jimmy Morrison had transmission problems and left too soon giving the red light victory to Jason Cramer who ran a 9.454

Tom Robison ran a 9.373 to edge out Billy T who ran a 9.454

Tony Gomes ran an 8.029@149.91 on a bye run

Todd Humphries ran a 8.148 on a competition bye when Paul Dubois couldn't make the call.

Gary Harmon ran a 9.415 lifting on his bye run

Second Round:

Jason White pitted his TSM car against Gary Harmon. Gary beat him off the line and continued to pull away. Jason lifted and Gary ran a 7.731 to be the quickest car in the class up to that point.

Richie Balcom brought his TSM entry up against #1 qualifier Tony Gomes. Richie left first, but Tony quickly went around him. Richie lifted and Tony ran a 7.966 pass

The next pair was Tom Robison against Todd Humphries. Unfortunately, Todd had an issue after the burnout and was unable to go to the line giving the victory to Tom. Tom ran a leisurely 13.393 for the victory.

In a battle of the underdogs, Dave England was up against Jason Cramer. Both cars ran within a couple tenths of each other the previous round. Jason left first but Dave was able to get around him. Jason ran a 9.444 to Dave's winning 9.209

Semi Finals:

Tony Gomes was pitted against Tom Robison. Tony edged Tom on the tree and never looked back. Tom ran a 9.891 to Tony's 7.877

Gary Harmon lined up against Dave England. Dave left first, but Gary quickly went around him. Gary coasted to the victory, giving Gomes lane choice.

Finals:

Tony Gomes and Gary Harmon were on a collision course all weekend. Gary had ran a best of 7.731, Tony a 7.732.

Gary left the line first with a 0.023 reaction time. Tony wasn't far behind with a 0.077. They ran very similar 60's, then Tony caught up by the 330'. By the 1/8th Tony went 4.976 to Gary's 5.046. Tony went 147.37mph! By the 1000' Tony had stretched his lead. Gary lifted just before the finish running a 7.775 Tony set a new TSO record running a 7.637@184.32mph

Thank you to all our sponsors and competitors. This year was the fastest, largest, highest paying TSO class EVER!!

I was waiting for this post. Awesome write up Cal. Good job guys at bringing this class to the front and setting new personal bests. Truly sorry I missed this one, looked like a awesome event. Heard nothing but positive stuff about it. Our small community really needed this.

This was the most fun I had at a race track all year, even though I brought a knife to a gun fight. I can't wait for next year to come. Thanks to Cal and all the sponsors.

I love the play by play write up!
Thanks to all the TSO drivers for letting us TSM guys run.
Great job by the Hartlines for running things as smooth as they could be,
and for the payouts!
I got gift certificates , fuel , and cash!!!
Thanks for getting all the sponsors.

Thanks for reminding me about payouts, Richie.

First round losers were paid $50 cash plus a shirt.
Next round was $275 cash and product, plus shirt
Next round $500 cash and product, plus shirt
Runner up, $1500 cash and product, plus shirt
Winner, $3000+ in cash and product, plus shirt

Finals:

Tony Gomes and Gary Harmon were on a collision course all weekend. Gary had ran a best of 7.731, Tony a 7.732.

Gary left the line first with a 0.023 reaction time. Tony wasn't far behind with a 0.077. They ran very similar 60's, then Tony caught up by the 330'. By the 1/8th Tony went 4.976 to Gary's 5.046. Tony went 147.37mph! By the 1000' Tony had stretched his lead. Gary lifted just before the finish running a 7.775 Tony set a new TSO record running a 7.637@184.32mph

Thank you to all our sponsors and competitors. This year was the fastest, largest, highest paying TSO class EVER!!
Please tell me someone got Tony's 7.637 pass on video.