You can type here any text you want

218/212 vs. 212/212

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

L8TRH8R

Can anyone give me there opinion on the difference between these two cams??? My motor is out and again and I'm thinking about going to a 218/212. Any thoughts are appreciated.

What are your goals? What mph are you trying to achieve. What converter? The 212/212 will take you to 135mph with 28" tires and 3.42 gears easily if the converter is up to par. You can easily max a set of stock diameter springs with a 212. Its hard to get enough spring on iron heads without extensive work.

I would like to get just into the 9's. The converter is a TCI race converter I believe its a 3200 stall with a super street fighter TH400 ... I have to pull out the paperwork to be 100% on the stall speed. :redface: BISON right after I bought the Razor kit from you i lost a head gasket and had MAJOR issues along with it so I have yet to try out the kit!

any thoughts ideas/parts needed or recomended are greatly appreciated!!!!!! I'd like to get it RIGHT this time... :frown:

212/212 is better for a street car that does see the track....

218/212 is better for a track ride...:)

any thoughts ideas/parts needed or recomended are greatly appreciated!!!!!! I'd like to get it RIGHT this time... :frown:

Read the thread i started on the stock bottom end engine. Plenty of info about running a stock block engine hard that sees 99% street use. No need for more than a 212 cam if you have a converter that is spec'd properly. Its not easy to get enough spring on the stock heads to be able to run the rpm/boost required to take advantage of cams bigger than the 212. You need to get it done under 6000rpm.

Thanks Bison. I'm going to go with a 212/212 again as well as sell me th400 get a FAST XFI pts trans and converter as well as a steel crank... may just get some heads as well. We'll see how far the boss (wife) will let me go before she has her yearly Buick melt down!!!!!! :eek: If there is anything else you would recommend please do! Tahnks again. You have been a very helpful mind during this straight up hill learning curve.

Back