You can type here any text you want

275/50's vs. 255/60's...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

streetknight

DCVING
I've ran the 275/50 MT Drag radials before and were real happy with them, BUT I had them on 15x8.5" Rims which are gone now.

So, I can buy new rims (which I really can't afford right now) and use the tires I know worked or I can put some 255/60's on the 7" T rims I have.

the 275/50 are 26.1 tall with a 10" tread width

the 255/60 are 27.1 tall with a 8.8" tread width

Will the extra inch of tire height adversely affect the performance of the car. I've been told in the past not to go to a taller tire than the 26's.

TIA

Who ever told you not to go to a taller tire was confused. 13 years or so ago, I used to be one of those people... then I tried taller tires and never looked back.

going up to 27" or 28" tires from 26" tires should speed the car up.

Tire spin slows a car down more than anything. The taller the tire, the harder they are to spin and therefore they will be quicker out of the hole on 95% of the tracks you'd race on (unless the track is so sticking the sweepers shoes get stuck)

Hp peak on a stock motored TR is around 4400 RPM. Going thru the traps at 5300 RPM (about 113 mph with 26" tall tires) is way over the HP peak. Taller tires help bring the RPM down closer to the HP peak and allow you to go faster.

Cool. I did try 28's back about 8 years ago and my car didn't pick up any is why I was wondering.

Thanks

Back