Wheel size for my drag radials.

TIMINATOR

I have GNX copy wheels on my turboT, they are 16x8.
I bought 275/50- 15 drag radials in the R compound so I could have the taller sidewall and also, the 16" size only comes in a 255 width.
What backset do I need?
I assume a 15x8" wheel is what I want?
What's everyone running?
TIMINATOR

I run the 275 drag radial on the back of my car. The wheels I have are a 4" backspacing and will rub a bit over larger bumps with passengers in the car. I'd say a 8" wheel with 1/2" more backspacing would fit perfectly. My wheels are cast 8.5" vectors so I didn't really have an option.

Neal

Thanks! Still deciding what to do. Just been wiring, detailing, painting polishing, and mostly doing customers stuff....
Still deciding if I'm putting the battery in the trunk. I bought the wire and stuff but doing other things while I decide.
I wrapped exhaust and bought the DEI 6" x 2 ft. Blanket for the lower part of the downpipe, and wrap for the upper and
x over. Replaced the fusible links, added a power master starter, trying to decide where to hide the charcoal cannister solenoid and hydro boost brake wiring, and build a nice shield to hide the ugly wiper motor and some of the linkage too.
I decided not to drive it til I finish it, otherwise, I'll never do all the small stuff.
I know how I am....
Still thinking about the Cyclone with the built motor that a friend has.....
It would give me something to drive til I finish the Turbo T.
TIMINATOR

The 275-50 OD 26.3
Section 11.2
Tread 10.1
I use a 8 in 4 in backspace
28X9-15
OD 28
Section 10.7
Tread 9
With lots of room it’s the section width that gets you in trouble I’m 1/4 per side smaller.

I had 275/60-15 on my car forever with stock wheels. The only change was aluminum drums. I had 1/2" clearance on both sides.

Still thinking about the Cyclone with the built motor that a friend has.....
It would give me something to drive til I finish the Turbo T.
:ROFLMAO:
The Cyclone will end up with you "finding" many things that "just HAVE to be changed" and it'll end up parked next to the Buick!!
I know all to well how that goes.
My bud buys a 6T5 Impala/BBC/t400 for that exact same purpose.
$25K later, it's now on the road and has made the Power Tour this yr.

THANKS ALL!!!
HENLEYT came over today with his rear tires, we put 'em on my T and measured everything and took lots of clearance pics. They fit fine. Hung out for a few hours, swapped stories (him) and lies!(me!)
15x8 at 4" B set is a little close to the outside, 4 1/4" would be perfect!
Now I go catalogue shopping!
Incidentally, I have a Quick Performance bolt in 9", and I can honestly say, it is the ONLY "bolt on" that I remember actually did!
I added a 2" longer soft brake hose, (easier to find) but the old one would have worked. Stock was old and crusty, or I wouldn't have changed it. My car had a 2.47 geared 7 1/2"Posi in it when I got it, or I wouldn't have changed that either, but the 9" was cheaper than finding an 8 1/2" and rebuilding a 36 year old rearend.
AND I have 2 1/2" x 11" brakes to hold more boost on the line with replaceable bigger bearings, not to mention easier gear changes, cheaper, stronger gears, a wider selection of wheel cylinder sizes, and new posi!
TIMINATOR

Incidentally, I have a Quick Performance bolt in 9", and I can honestly say, it is the ONLY "bolt on" that I remember actually did!

TIMINATOR
What gear do you go with? Thinking about ordering one, "one of these days".

Mine fit perfect also !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705-212616_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705-212616_Gallery.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 47
What gear do you go with? Thinking about ordering one, "one of these days".
They had a 3.40 gear when I ordered mine in 2017 , so I put in close to the stock ratio .

Last edited:
3.40 an extra $100. I was thinking the 3.23 or a 3.50 but one of these days hasn't gotten here yet so I don't need to make the trigger pull yet.

Thanx for the reply

I was gonna go with the 9" 3.42s but those are about $135.00 more than the common 3.50s, and the 275/60 drag radials Rs are a bit taller, so I did the common 3.50 gears. I also have here 3.70s and 3.90s to try if I decide to.
I love the quality of the Quik Perf. stuff, and am a repeat buyer. I don't even bother narrowing stuff anymore. Everything from them is new!
9" has more different wheel cylinder sizes available, and brake sizes too. Order the complete brake setup and axles too! If you want, they will do the a 3rd member if u dont have any laying around. They split the shipping costs too!
TIMINATOR

Sell ur 8.5" to a purist/ restorer, u can get a complete 9" new, and cheaper than the worn out originals bring! At least when I was looking for one last year, that's what I saw.
TIMINATOR

I was gonna go with the 9" 3.42s but those are about $135.00 more than the common 3.50s, and the 275/60 drag radials Rs are a bit taller, so I did the common 3.50 gears. I also have here 3.70s and 3.90s to try if I decide to.
I love the quality of the Quik Perf. stuff, and am a repeat buyer. I don't even bother narrowing stuff anymore. Everything from them is new!
9" has more different wheel cylinder sizes available, and brake sizes too. Order the complete brake setup and axles too! If you want, they will do the a 3rd member if u dont have any laying around. They split the shipping costs too!
TIMINATOR
You will be fine with the 3.50 ask dynoman how much his car made😁
Qp performance rear stuff is awesome.

Hey Greg, wazzup? I'm inching closer. Too much customer stuff, I gotta learn to say no, or raise my prices! Haven't done that in a few years...

Sell ur 8.5" to a purist/ restorer, u can get a complete 9" new
That's exactly what I did plus a Denny's drive shaft . I wanted to bullet proof the complete drive train .
My 9" was $3300 complete . That was with a WaveTrac differential , Yukon through bolt case and 35 spline axles .
The 9" also helps with the instant center of the suspension because the upper control arm mounting is taller than on the stock rearend .

Timm has lots of stuff had a good time. Just remember first lier doesn't stand a chance to to top the second lier. We stoped at two good lies.
I did not see a tire machine do you have one?

True story about the first liar!
An employee has one across the street.
Not actively racing much, although I have been known to throw on a set of slicks or DRs with spoons on the floor now and then.
I also haven't decided on raising prices, or just doing my own work...