You can type here any text you want

2nd Cooling fan mod needing reset?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hardway

I just did a mod on my 2nd cooling fan just like I did on my '89 GTA. I have the primary fan set to come on at key on by running a tap in to the ground of the green/white wire off the relay. For the second fan I did the same thing with a pull apart connection tapped in to the green/yellow wire off the relay. The second fan does as I want it, comes on at key on but does not go off when I turn off the engine, hot or cold. I know it will run for so long on its own when the engine is hot but will run indefinitely unless I pull the connection apart and reconnect it. Can anyone tell me why I have to reset this? Does it have to do with the circuitry for the 2nd fan running till the engine cools off? Any info is greatly appreciated.

You shouldnt have fans running when the key is "ON". This cuases a lot of problems. From longer times to heat the engine, to extra wear on electrical, extra wear on fan motor, etc.

Let the ecm control your fans. That is the correct way. Now to wire them where both come on at the same time.. not an issue.

try this..

I un-did the mess someone before did to my fans. They ran all the time too and the car took forever to warm up. Plus the voltage drop with both running all the time.

Anyway, this is working exactly how it's described. I have choice of letting the ECM run both fans when the primary is commanded or letting the secondary run as a stand alone when it is switched to come on as originally meant to.

Fan Switch Modification

Thank you for the fan switch mod info WS6. I think I will give that it try since it seems to accomplish what I want without hendering the factory setup. I will post my results later today.

Back