You can type here any text you want

3.5 ls1 maf sensor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jared31

Just bought a ls1 maf sensor and translator. I was wondering if I wasted my money because I want to keep my 3 inch air intake pipe. I was just going to get the 3 to 3.5 silicone adaptor boots and put it in my car. Am I going to defeat the purpose of having a 3.5 inch maf sensor on a 3 inch air intake pipe. All the companies I have called said I would have to cut the stud off the alternator bracket to get the 3.5 inch air intake pipe to work.

Im not sure where all that info came from. As far as i know you can just use the 3 to 3.5 and never heard of cutting stud off.

Your fine using the 3.5" MAF the internal port is probably not much larger than 3" to boot. So I would imagine the air flow would stay pretty consistent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your fine using the 3.5" MAF the internal port is probably not much larger than 3" to boot. So I would imagine the air flow would stay pretty consistent!!

So you think I'll be fine using the 3.5 inch maf sensor with my 3 inch air induction tube

Yes the 3.5" MAF sensor tapers in toward the center. You will be absolutely fine!!

The companies said if I us the 3.5 inch pipe I would have to cut alternator bracket stud

You need to talk to new companies. A 3.5" LS1 only flows 80something percent of a 3" pipe (a 3" LT! is 60 something).

The actuual inlet on the compressor wheel is MUCH less than 3.5 AND 3" so it's a moot point.

The main benifit in flow come from the larger neck on the filter and the larger flow area of the larger MAF.

*note* Take this with a gran of salt as I've actually measured the flow areas of various pipes and MAFs and did the math.

-moral of the story... choose the larger MAF with a tapered coupler and enjoy the faster spool.

You need to talk to new companies. A 3.5" LS1 only flows 80something percent of a 3" pipe (a 3" LT! is 60 something).

The actuual inlet on the compressor wheel is MUCH less than 3.5 AND 3" so it's a moot point.

The main benifit in flow come from the larger neck on the filter and the larger flow area of the larger MAF.

*note* Take this with a gran of salt as I've actually measured the flow areas of various pipes and MAFs and did the math.

-moral of the story... choose the larger MAF with a tapered coupler and enjoy the faster spool.
Thank you for all the information

Thank you for all the information

My opinion is a bit different, and takes turbulent airflow into consideration. If all your piping going up to the turbo is consistent, my theory is that there will be less turbulence. You'll feed more air into the 3" turbo inlet. Reducing from 3.5" at the MAF to 3" all the way up to the turbo, it's a restriction, even if minor. I haven't done any comparison testing, of course, this is just opinion and logic.

I just made my own 3.5" intake pipe from a 45-degree angled pipe I bought on eBay; along with a 45-degree 3.5"-to-3" angled coupler, it clears the alternator just fine, but takes some measuring and cutting. It's a bit of work but it's totally do-able.

customintake-jpg.284323

customintake_axistranslator_installed-jpg.284329

Back