You can type here any text you want

3.8 Turbo Engine Swap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CSmith

Great forum guys!

I have a 1965 IH Scout with a weak four cylinder I am wanting to replace. I had been interested in a 3.8 or Chevy 4.3 when I saw an ad on craigslist for a carbureted GN engine. I have always admired the GNs and T-types so I bought the engine to swap in to my scout.

It was advertised as an '83 engine but it has cast manifolds. From other pictures I have seen I believe the engine is an '81 or '82. The distributor has vacuum advance and a 7 terminal module. I have no ecm or spark controller. The quadrajet has a cracked main body from when the engine was pulled. Another carb from an NA 3.8 was included.

Should I try to get all the electronics for it and have the proper carburetor on it or can I get away with running a non-computer controlled disributor and a standard carburetor? Since all I have is the engine itself I am starting from scratch.

Thanks guys!

It could be anything from a 78 to an 81. Welcome aboard and start reading. If you're looking for a crawler set up then you need to get rid of the turbo. It's kinds peaky and won't give you what you want off road. Please look at the sticky at the main B4Black page and it will give you a better idea of what you've got. Here a very good link for you to check out.

BEFORE BLACK Website

It has an alminum intake. '81 then? So what do you think would be the most logical way to set this up?

if you are going to convert a regular 231 into a turbo motor there is a few things you would have to look out for. the valve covers are different and a few other things. just be careful what intake you get because the heads were redesigned in 79. the first pic show the port difference and the second show the different types of intakes. like charlie said take a look at beforeblack.net. welcome aboard

Attachments

• SDC10024 - Copydf.jpg
    SDC10024 - Copydf.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 178
  • SDC10018 - Copy.jpg
    SDC10018 - Copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 187
It is a turbo engine that I am starting with and it seems to be pretty complete except for the broken carburetor and any electronic controls that would have been mounted in the car.

This is off Rich's site and I think you've got an 81 engine from the discription.

BEFORE BLACK - Evolution of the Buick Turbo V6

The position of the water outlet is the second clue. It should have a puter and some electronic controls to go with the rest of the engine. You might want to get some headers and a 4 barrel intake instead of going with a turbo in the Jeep.

Back