3.8 Turbo in a S-10 Blazer w/5 speed

H

hulaukeman

I just bought a low mile 78 turbo LeSabre with a bad transmission for an embarrassingly low price. I'm thinking about putting the engine in my 1984 S-10 Blazer 2-wheel drive lorider that has the dreaded 2.8. My original plan called for a small block Chevy but everybody has one of those and the 3.8 seems like a natural. Will it fit in the body? hood? frame? I roughly measured and it looks like a go but I've never heard of anyone doing this conversion, maybe for good reason. The Blazer has a Borg Warner T-5 speed which I'd like to keep or I have an old 60's Muncie M-21 close-ratio Hmmmmm... Anybody that has any information about putting the turbo 3.8 in an S-10 would be greatly appreciated especially info on hooking up a stick shift. Flywheel type?? application?? interchange?? I could live with an automatic but I'm a diehard gear rower and it would make for an interesting ride.

I'm working on a similar project, except I'm putting a 79 engine with a Borg Warner T50 in my Chevy Vega. The trickey part is finding a flywheel and clutch assembly. There weren't many even-fire v6's that came with a stick shift, most were automatic. I have come up empty at parts stores, and wholesalers. Hays sells a flywheel, but for 300 bucks (a bit over my price range). So far my local junkyards have sent me home empty handed :( . It's just a matter of finding the right car.

The wiring has been interesting, if not frustrating. Hood clearance is another problem I've encountered. Maybe you won't have this problem, since your engine bay is bigger. I'm sure someone out there makes a kit to put a buick v6 in your S10. Good luck with your project! Keep us up to speed!

Ben

Originally posted by gunnervirus
I'm working on a similar project, except I'm putting a 79 engine with a Borg Warner T50 in my Chevy Vega. The trickey part is finding a flywheel and clutch assembly. There weren't many even-fire v6's that came with a stick shift, most were automatic. I have come up empty at parts stores, and wholesalers. Hays sells a flywheel, but for 300 bucks (a bit over my price range). So far my local junkyards have sent me home empty handed :( . It's just a matter of finding the right car.

Hey Gunner, fill me in.
I was under the impression that the only way to get a stick behind a Buick V6 was to fabricate the trans. bellhousings.
I must have been grossly missinformed.
A stick shift TB would be cool as hell.
Your TB Vega is going to be cool as hell with a stick;)

Rich,

Since the buick v6 has come with manuals in other cars, I'm sure you can find a bellhousing. I bought a bellhousing from some guy on the net that came from a late 70's Buick Skyhawk. The Skyhawk had the 3.8, some were equipped with sticks. The bellhouing has a cable actuated clutch, so all I have to do is hook up the existing clutch cable to the fork. Stick shift 3.8s are rare, and that's why I'm having trouble finding a flywheel... I'm thinking I might buy the Hays, its only money... I guess :(

Ben

Originally posted by gunnervirus
I'm having trouble finding a flywheel... I'm thinking I might buy the Hays, its only money... I guess :(

Ben

When ya look @ the kinda $$$ it cost to repair a damn 200 4R,
your getting off cheap really. Even with the $300 flywheel.
I have a 200 4R in a Parrissiane wagon that went bad & two diff. shops both quoted me OVER $1,000 to fix:eek: That is purely REDICULAS!
I ended up finding a shop that fixed it good enough for $300 but they said not to use 4th. If I wanted O.D. working it would be another $800 :eek: Needless to say I ve been very happy with my 200 4R-3spd, LOL. All that has been over 5 yrs. now & it's still running good.