You can type here any text you want

3.8 Turbo on the cheap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Douglas

Hello,

I am working on a S10 road racer project. I would like to go with the Turbo Buick to reduce my front end weight. I need to do it inexpensively though. To make 450-550 hp how little could I spend starting with nothing. I will be pretty comfortable with the Tig by the time I finish my chassis and roll cage. And I am pretty good at turning plates and tubes into useful stuff.

I figure the cheapest way to go would be to get a series II/III motor and sell the supercharger. Then fabricate mountings for a turbo or two. I figure there is an OEM turbo out there (diesel truck?) that would sustain my desired power level, especially if I doubled them up. I would do my own head work and replace the cam. The compression ratio is 8.5 so I would leave the short block alone and just hope it doesn't explode. Then fabricate an intake, get a throttle body, buy an inter cooler core and put tanks on it, then stick the MAF somewhere in there. Then take it to a chip reprogramming place and get the bugs worked out. I guess all of this assumes I can bolt my T10 to it, but there were rear drive cars with the 3800. I guess I also could go down the same route with an older 3.8. If I did the 3.8 I would get an old carbed junker and do a rebuild with a new crank and everything. Then everything the same and hobble up an EFI setup.

Am I crazy? I think so, right now my sbc is set back 15 inches for weight distribution, it is like a damn van in there.

Back