You can type here any text you want

3" downpipe fitment?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dreamn4GN

just installed a 3" downpipe and it's very close to the plastic in inner fender. Maybe even touching at one point. Is this common? Should I just trim the plastic? Or is their something else going on?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    584.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 150
GN1 downpipe ?

It WILL melt the plastic !!! Yes either cut the plastic , or better yet, get a downpipe that fits correctly. ..

Bryan

It's a shame Terry Houston couldn't start making pipes again. Best fit ever, and never had problems with sticking pucks.

It's self trimming. It will melt the plastic and it will recede to where it needs to be. Just let it do its thing and leave it be.

Haven't seen issues with RJC pipes , call your vendor , as this isn't right.
How are your motor mounts, Body bushings ?

I wouldn't even start the car with that pipe on it. Take it off, and get one that fits. Yes RJC or ArizonaGN (t/a performance). I did work on a buddy's GN that had a small engine fire from the exact same thing. Not to mention our plastic inner fenders are unique to turbo cars and not easy to find.

The GN1 downpipes were designed to work with ATR or Kenne Bell style headers that have a crossover pipe that meets with the passenger side header right before the turbo. Since the crossover pipe occupies space that downpipes designed for stock headers would normally be the downpipe has to sweep farther out to clear the crossover. That is why it is so close to the fenderwell. Easy to trim with a dremel tool with the proper bit. And yes the dp will work with the stock headers as well.

klmda disappointed with it. Need to jump through hoops just to get the fourth bolt into turbo. Regular hex head won't fit. Not even a Allen head bolt. I slammed the hood walked away before I out her up for sale. Not returning it because do don't feel like dealing with the bullshit.

klmda disappointed with it. Need to jump through hoops just to get the fourth bolt into turbo. Regular hex head won't fit. Not even a Allen head bolt. I slammed the hood walked away before I out her up for sale. Not returning it because do don't feel like dealing with the bullshit.

Return it's not worth the BS. It is the only way that the vendor has to fix QC issues . It will continue for others to deal with ...

Bryan

Return it's not worth the BS. It is the only way that the vendor has to fix QC issues . It will continue for others to deal with ...

Bryan
I ended up going back later and was able to get all four bolts in. I was just frustrated at the time. Other than that I'm satisfied with it. now only if I could just get the test pipe fabbed up. That open down pipe sure is loud. Not sure how people like the cutouts. Given I have. Single shot open dump/ down pipe is wreck less haha

I ended up going back later and was able to get all four bolts in. I was just frustrated at the time. Other than that I'm satisfied with it. now only if I could just get the test pipe fabbed up. That open down pipe sure is loud. Not sure how people like the cutouts. Given I have. Single shot open dump/ down pipe is wreck less haha

I have the same pipe. I have also fitted other pipes on different cars and configurations. Rarely one fits exactly like another. It can be many other things than the quality of the pipe. That same exact pipe fits fine on my car. Before I bolt anything tight, including the mid pipe I make small adjustments to make all the bolts line up. The pipe is directly connected to your turbo as well as the header. All the items being off, or slightly left..right..center, will alter fitment. Body bushings are probably shot too.

I had to oblong the holes in the turbo flange on the header in order to rotate the pipe a little. It made the pipe fit very well. It is an RJC, and a very well made pipe. It was a close fit, but worked. I then replace motor mounts, and it fits even better.

I stuffed a rag in the pipe and taped the header flange with duct tape to keep any filing from going into the header. Used a die grinder and a carbide bit to slowly remove the material.

I have the same pipe. I have also fitted other pipes on different cars and configurations. Rarely one fits exactly like another. It can be many other things than the quality of the pipe. That same exact pipe fits fine on my car. Before I bolt anything tight, including the mid pipe I make small adjustments to make all the bolts line up. The pipe is directly connected to your turbo as well as the header. All the items being off, or slightly left..right..center, will alter fitment. Body bushings are probably shot too.
I never complained about the qaulity. I believe my bushings are shot and so is my passenger side motor mount after getting car on the lift. Car has a new drivers HR mount. It's definitely my car not the pipe. Have a buddy as well with the pipe and it's totally fine. Kinda why I started the thread to figure out what's going on. Thanks for the comebacks.

Back