You can type here any text you want

4.1 Flex plate

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Frans

Hi fellas,
I am new to this forum and I am "new" to Buicks. In fact, Buicks are very scarse in my country. So, please pardon me if I sound very stupid.
I found this 4.1 engine and it looks perfect for my Willys jeep that needs an engine. According to the previous owner it came out of a FWD Riviera and it has very low mileage (20 000). (The owner wanted more power and swoped a V8 into it.) Unfortunately it is without a flywheel or flex plate. Now, I learned that a flex plate/ flywheel must be balanced for these engines. My chances to get one in South Africa are very slim, so I will have to import it. The weight of of a flywheel will make shipping too expensive, so I guess I will have to go for a flex plate and put a Turbo 350 auto transmission on it. I have a Chevy TH350 and I don't think it will be too hard to adapt it to the Buick engine. (I can get a TH350 to jeep transfer case adapter for $270.)

My questions:
Can I use a 3.8 V6 flex plate on the 4.1 or is the balancing different?
Does the 4.1 use a flex plate with 160 teeth?
And the big question: Where can I get a flex plate? (If anyone has one and is willing to ship it to South Africa, please let me know.)
What do you think?

If anyone has any comments or advice, I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Frans

I have one tying up space in my garage and its small enough to actually send via mail not freight. You can have it if you pay the shipping cost. Yes it is a 160 Tooth, atleast my aftermarket one it haven't checked to see if it matchs my factory, but the balance is off for using a Chevy flexplate unless both engines are neutral balance which is not factory components. As far as the 3.8 flexplate.... don't know with larger pistons but the same rods I couldn't tell you if its the same as a 3.8. I'll have to do some checking on that, but since there are no seperate listings I would say its the same.

Wow, that's very generous!! Thank you, I really appreciate your offer. Can you please email me a quotation for the shipping cost?

I also put a post in the Parts Wanted forum and accordinng to one of the posts the flex plate I need must have 162 teeth. :confused:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1242318#post1242318

Now I am really confused. I will be using a Chevy starter on the engine, but which flex plate will work? :confused: Maybe I must get both and see which one works? :confused:

Thanks

Frans

I know people use the late LT1 starter on stock turbo6's and that is a 160 tooth application. I'd check into finding an LT1 (that is the Gen II small block) starter to match, its smaller and lighter. I think the later 1 peice rear main seal motors also used 160 tooth flexplates but don't quote me on that. PM me with your address and I'll get the quote on international mail for ya. Its worthless to me and it is from a 4.1.

The starter that I will use is a Delco and it came from a Chevy 4.1 straight 6 engine. It fits on the V6 Buick's block. We have tried it with the Chevy 153 tooth flywheel, but the bendix did not touch the ring gear. So I assume the 160 tooth will be the correct one. (I just hope it will work with the Chevy starter.)
It seems that the FWD's used the 162 tooth flex plate with a different transmission-mounted starter.
Thanks. I am sending you a PM

Frans

CTX-SLPR said:
I have one tying up space in my garage and its small enough to actually send via mail not freight. You can have it if you pay the shipping cost. Yes it is a 160 Tooth, atleast my aftermarket one it haven't checked to see if it matchs my factory, but the balance is off for using a Chevy flexplate unless both engines are neutral balance which is not factory components. As far as the 3.8 flexplate.... don't know with larger pistons but the same rods I couldn't tell you if its the same as a 3.8. I'll have to do some checking on that, but since there are no seperate listings I would say its the same.

William,
A couple of months (Feb/March) ago I sent you $25 for postage to send the flex plate to me. I have not received anything yet. Maybe it got lost in the mail.

Can you please let me know when you sent it and the number of the package so that I can check the post office?

Thank you

Frans

Back