You can type here any text you want

4.1 question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buddy

hey guys. Haven't been on in awhile. Buick is at shop getting prep and paint and I'm in the middle of a house sale/move. I just impulse bought a 4.1 from a 82 riviera. The guy I bought it from is doing me a favor and pulling it for me so I don't want to bug him asking for casting number
Now. Anybody know is that year is the 484 casting prone to crack. I've read some articles in the past about it but my brain has been fried in this move to think about the research. Thanks for any input.

Plans are to build up the block for future use if the t motor ever goes so I have a back up. Thanks again rich.

I've not actually seen a 484 casting. The ones I have seen are 291 and as far as I have read all are prone to cracking around the head bolt holes. There is a good article on turbobuicks.com about chamfering the holes. And other mods this individual did to his build. I'll look for a link.

Link=. http://www.turbobuicks.com/articles/4point1ForCheap/

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yea I read that article a bunch. Very cool. How do you guys think $450 for complete engine. Don't know if it's a 484 or 291 yet but it's from a 82 riviera with low miles.

I havent searched in a while. It should come with some 8445 heads, two dot rods and a rolled fillet crank. And of course the siamesed cylinders to get you extra cubes. Heads might bring $50-100, two dot rods about $50 for the set. Uncut crank could go $200-250 to the right buyer. I guess $350 might be worth it. They are getting hard to locate.

I've been scoping out craigslist for a while and haven't seen anything so when this one showed up I jumped on It.

When I was living down by Houston back in the early 2000s you could hit the wrecking yards around Houston proper and the out lying like port Arthur Beaumont, Dayton and such and find em. But that has been a long time ago.

I have a extra set of heads with big valves if interested.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

484 and 291 are both good blocks to use. As stated above just look for cracks in the deck.

Back