You can type here any text you want

Checking a main bearing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MCH86GN

I wanted to check one of my main bearings. Is it ok to simply remove the main cap and look at the bearing and assuming no issues simply tighten the main cap back to spec with a torque wrench?

Thanks.

If there is no bearing material in the filter I see no reason to do that.And if there is it time to remove the engine . If the rear main seal is leaking so bad that you're oiling the underside down, yes two birds with one stone is OK. but just to look, not something I would do.

If there is no bearing material in the filter I see no reason to do that.And if there is it time to remove the engine . If the rear main seal is leaking so bad that you're oiling the underside down, yes two birds with one stone is OK. but just to look, not something I would do.
Well in 2019 the oil pressure switch, sprung an oil leak. The oil started leaking out the prongs of the pressure switch and my oil did hit a critically low mark.
Maybe I shut my engine off in time and there was not damage, because I couldn't find any metal particulate in the filter medium. However, since I am replacing my oil pan and gasket I figure it might be worth looking at to see if bearing number 2 has any damage. But, with no discernable loss of oil pressure while running with the engine heated up maybe I should just leave it alone. I do not want to actually take it off. I am concerned that if I did remove it, on reinstall I wouldn't get it torqued properly or just unsettling the number 2 main bearing.

I will tell that if there is no real damage to the main and/or rods bearings I would be somewhat shocked, because I did lose almost all of my oil.

Thanks for input, I really appreciate it.

If you're pulling your oil pan you'll see everything you need to know. How many miles, oil pressure, oil weight? My pressure was a whopping 10 psi with 20w50, when I pulled my pan holy moly what a mess. The turbo buicks oil pan has this great feature where you'll never drain any crap out of the bottom of it because of the drain plug setup.

I was running 20W50 and I did not let my engine warm
If you're pulling your oil pan you'll see everything you need to know. How many miles, oil pressure, oil weight? My pressure was a whopping 10 psi with 20w50, when I pulled my pan holy moly what a mess. The turbo buicks oil pan has this great feature where you'll never drain any crap out of the bottom of it because of the drain plug setup.
I had replaced my oil pan back in 2016 when my engine was rebuilt. I am changing it because I slide the floor jack back too far and my new oil got jacked. I pulled it again and I was able to get the dents out and I then had it powder coated and I put it back on. While I was installing it I got some denatured alky or brake clean on the pan and the "powder coating" basically dissolved like it was simply a coat of aluminum paint. It just so happened that I picked up a brand new RJC oil pan, never mounted, for a good price and I had it as a spare. I got it powder coated from a much more reputable company and as a litmus test I sprayed a little bit of brake clean on it and the brake clean had no effect on it. That is the reason for the pan swap.

Running 20W50 VR1 full synthetic, as recommended my engine builder, I took my car out in 2019 and I did not let engine oil warm enough and I got on it at aboot half throttle and I guess the oil pressure got so high it blew through the prongs of the oil switch. I wasn't aware that I was leaking oil and when I was driving down my street to my house my idiot light came on to indicate the oil pressure had dropped below 3 psi. I was close enough to my house to shut the engine off and put the car in neutral and roll home. Based on that event, I wanted to make sure that I did not hurt my engine.

I am fairly certain I did not, I took the filter off and looked the medium and I did not see any signs of metal. I am not sure if the bearings material is magnetic, but nonetheless I still ran a magnet through the oil and through each pleat on the oil filter. I did not see any sparkles and at operating temperature the engine oil pressure was right at 25 psi. The same as when the engine was first rebuilt.

Anyway I probably will not take the number 2 main cap off to inspect the bearing. Sorry so long.

Back