4 wheel disc ?

StagedGN

I have a PM with stock front discs and a ford 9" with explorer discs in the rear.What needs to be done to make it correct for a 4 wheel disc ?I saw that master power brakes sells a vac 4 wheel disc master cylinder is this the way to go or is there an easier solution. Thanks Steve B

brakes

A master from a 87 GTA is 4WD the ports come out on the opposite side. The front is 12mm X 1. I do not remember the rear. I went to my local aeroquip store and made braided lines from the master to the proportioning valve for around $100. They work well and look cool too!! You will also need to remove the spring and plunger from the rear section of the proportioning valve this releases the 20 lbs preload from the rear line neccessary for drum, but causing discs to drag. :cool:

disc

there is a large nut on the bottom rear remove nut / spring/pull out plunger/ reinstall nut, gutting complete.... ( prefer surgical extraction):D

The 89 Gta master is good but.... im using a master cyl from an 1979 , yes disco era, trans am with 4 wheel disk brakes. With the rest of the conversion kit, it bolts right in.

...prop valve for the rear... the fronts are the 12" conversion that i threw together. Since the calipers are closer in design to what that master is designed for , the fronts are fine.

I have stock fronts with Aerospace rears with a powermaster. I tried to gut the stock cast prop valve , but half way there i found that the big front nut with the pin wouldnt seal without the inside crap out. I then removed it completely and used brass blocks to tie the fronts and backs sepatately from each other. I use a adjustable prop valveon the rears . Brakes have never worked better.;)

Same for me. Wilwoods all the way around with the stock powermaster. I had the proportioning valve jumped already back in the pre-tranbrake days so I just added an inline adjustable one for the rear brakes. Brakes stop just fine from 150mph trap speeds in 3500 pound car.
Greg Kring

Thanks,now with the inline adj prop valve how tuff is it to get the correct bias dialed in?
Steve Bernard.

brakes

I eliminated the leak by drilling and tapping the stock plug for an 1/8th inch pipe plug where the rubber piece was :cool:

I guesstimated on the adjustment. Seems to work out fine. The idea is to bias it all to where the rears want to lock up just barely before the fronts do. A few hard stops from 40 mph should be enough to test it out.
Greg Kring

Got an El-Camino with vac brakes and a new rear disc conversion (cheapie kit 11.25" with metric calipers), stock master cyl is different than the GN, installed a spare Wilwood prop valve with all the ports, stock valve removed.
I like the Wilwood MC, but am looking for more of a stock option for this ride (think auto parts store) Need to be careful of the angularity, anybody got options ?
Prefer Alum.

Got an El-Camino with vac brakes and a new rear disc conversion (cheapie kit 11.25" with metric calipers), stock master cyl is different than the GN, installed a spare Wilwood prop valve with all the ports, stock valve removed.
I like the Wilwood MC, but am looking for more of a stock option for this ride (think auto parts store) Need to be careful of the angularity, anybody got options ?
Prefer Alum.
I'm going to take a guess here but I would start by looking at the TTA master cylinder and vacuum booster since it had factory disk brakes.
AG.

Again, just shooting from the hip but the 1.417 (36mm) sounds about right for a 4 wheel power disk set-up. If it was manual I would say 1.032" or 1.125" bore, based on my experience.
EDIT - The one I see for a TTA is a 1.25 bore.
http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...ake-system-/486249_429915_2558/?checkfit=true

AG.
Customer went and bought one from the list I gave him, had to remove the rear caliper and tip it up to properly bleed it (cheap kit, badly engineered brackets) Then I added 2lb residual valves prior to the Wilwood Prop valve, hard as a rock now !