468 BB install in 86 GN

Tony Shoaff

I have found a 468 Big Block with square port heads and steel crank. I am tired of waiting for my 3.8 motor to be finished. What and who sells the motor mount stands , throttle cable and what needs to be done with the Fuel pump? I have a double pumper but can remove it and install a single pump again if needed. Do people still use the electric pump and use a regulator to lower thye fuel psi? Any other parts needed to change over the motor?Any help with this would be great. Thanks.

BBC into Regal

To install a BBC into the G-body is going to be simple. Head over to the junkyard and hit up the Monte Carlo row. What your looking for is a 305 Monte. Get the frame mounts (stands) for the Chevy V-8. Stop at your local parts store to get the uppers (block side).

Transmount - Pick up a '68-'72 A-body trans crossmember. This is the double hump design to allow for the routing of a true dual exaust. You'll need to cut each side by about 1/2 inch to fit between the rails. Remember to grab the rubbers & clam shells to mount to the Regal. The other option is drill a 3/8" hole through the frame & x-member and secure with bolts. In doing this you are going to help straighten out the launch of the Regal.

Fuel Pump - In my car I ran an external 7lb electric pump. The SFI fuel system is going to blow out the carb (40+ lbs pressure), make sure to remove that pump. Internal pumps with the correct delivery pressure are available at the local store as well.

Transmission - I'd think about running a TH 400 (or beefed TH350). The 400 will require a custom driveshaft (around 50 1/2 inches, ask the shop how they want it measured) IF you go the 350 route, the stock shaft should still work. If you run the TH200R4 (BRF trans) watch the trans temp as the BBC (or BBB) is going to add additional heat into the system.

Radiator - I'm told that the H-D F-body is a bolt in. The GN fan system seems to be the way to go for cooling. Be sure to add an external trans cooler also.

Exaust - Chevelle SS396/454 manifolds & headpipes work fine. I beleive a couple places make BBC headers for Monte Carlo SS, will work fine in the GN. Mufflers back are going to need custom exaust work done. Be sure to go with 2.5 or bigger pipes.

A/C - either remove it (easist) or you have to clearance it slightly to clear the pass side valve cover. Aftermarket tall covers make the problem worse.

That's about it (put a 454 into my GN). Starter arrangement is the same Buick to Chevy.

Jim

moroso makes solid mounts for both block and chassis they are around 1oo for both summit sells the crossmember for 260 hooker make the swap headers for around 400 to 500