6262 DBB TURBO INSTALL- WHINE HEARD

john saleeby

Need help finding cause of a whine when car is revved up.

Background: Installed new 6262 Dual Ball Bearing turbo purchased from Otto on my 87 GN. Spoolfool ported wastegate and took apart turbo to paint exhaust and center section (see sticky on "How to port and paint turbo"). The center section oil restrictor was removed for painting and then re-installed. Re-used the stock oil line that feeds center section of turbo and the stock oil drain line also.Took car for a test drive around block and hear a whine when accelerating and when decelerating (not under boost either time as we have not adjusted the boost yet).

Thought sound was from belt tension pulley so removed belt and pulley and whine still present.

Checked the following: AC compressor checked ok, alternator checked ok, checked crankshaft pulley for rubbing or sensor misplacement but that checked ok

Removed turbo compressor side and checked large orange O-ring, shaft, blades and bell for abnormal wear or play. Ckecked ok

Checked bolts that hold the exhaust side of the turbo in place and they were snug.

Anyone else have similar issue when installing this model turbo?

No. Not close. I am installing my stock turbo, will start it up and see if sound is there or gone. i'll let you know.

John, I R&R my Dbb a few weeks ago, but I only removed the exh housing for paint. It only has normal wine under boost. when I turn of the car it has bearing noise as it spins down for about a minute. No whine.

If this is a ceramic dual ball bearing turbo and you removed the center oil locating pin (nut looking piece that is really a long oil locating pin) from the center section, that was a no no. That "nut" that is pre-installed on the turbo, should never be removed. Doing so, voids the warranty with PTE. It has a very specific method of installation when being built by PTE. If you simply screwed it back in and ran it, I can assure you, it has big time issues and needs to be sent to PTE immediately for them to check it out. There is also an orange tag that comes pre-wired by PTE, on the oil feed fitting that says not to remove that nut.
I wish you luck.

My TA-6262dbb made a real strange sound when turning off the car. At this point the turbo had a few hundred miles on it. No play, not leaks.

I sent in to PTE and they replaced the center section under warranty. I did not disassemble the unit or touch the nut on the oil feed.

I ended up selling it once it came back and replacing it with a 45a non-bb turbo.

Yea that doesnt sound good. Both of mine make a little noise. Which seems to be normal. My friends also have DBB PTE turbos and they all sound the same. Probably best to send it back to PTE. Good luck

I plaeced the stock turbo back on the car and will start car to see if the whine is still there. One problem, I stripped the oil feed line that goes to the turbo. I ordered a reproduction from Kirbans. any advice on screwing these things in?

I plaeced the stock turbo back on the car and will start car to see if the whine is still there. One problem, I stripped the oil feed line that goes to the turbo. I ordered a reproduction from Kirbans. any advice on screwing these things in?

Hey John, I sent you a PM, or started a conversation?
Charlie

Dennis from PTE said there was debris in the center section which possibly got there after the center nut was removed so the center could get painted. turbo enroute back to me from PTE. I'll let folks know the outcome.