64-67 A-body Hybrid Questions

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Just want to ask the community what the differences are when trying to put a Turbo6 in an early A-body like a 64-67 Skylark. Really thinking more engine bay type differences since obviously the exhaust under the car is different.

Thanks

On the surface, this looks like a pretty straightforward thing. I'm planning to do the same in my '64 special - I have the GN engine and trans being readied for the swap currently. I'm replacing the 225 V6/ST300 combo currently in the car.

As far as the engine, I'm pretty sure I can just use stock replacement A-Body motor mounts, on the stock V6 frame stands, to fit in the engine bay. Also, the overall length of the ST300, as well as the output shaft spline, is the same for the TH2004R, so it should fit right in - even with the stock driveshaft. Likely, the trans crossmember will have to move a little rearward.

There are a couple of items I am unsure of:

1. The stock GN turbo outlet/downpipe. Since the stock pipe is designed specifically for a G-Body, I'm leaning towards needing to do some type of fab work in this area. It would be nice to hear from someone on the board, if they have any experience.
2. The stock GN oil pan. I could be wrong, but it appears that the front of the pan sump may interfere with the stock A-body frame crossmember. Knowing that the stock GN pan sump is shape specific for the exhaust, I'm hoping to hear some recommendations. Is a custom sump rework in my future?
3. I've seen photos of others' cars who have done the swap, and it looks like the stock intercooler fits between the front of the engine and the radiator, but I could use confirmation.
4. I plan to convert to power steering using a GN steering gear. I think it will mount in the same location as the stocker and accept a stock, A-Body power steering pitman arm from the same year vehicle. And hopefully I can use replacement GN power steering lines?

I'll be looking to start this changeover in the next 1-2 months. Hopefully we hear from some of the experts!