6x9-adapter or not?

hang10

old surfboards wanted!!!
Hello- Can 6x9 be mounted in the rear deck without an adapter? My 4x10 are toasted. Thanks-Kurt

Yes but it's a real PITA since you have to figure out a way to screw the speaker into the rear deck, etc... Using a spacer makes the install MUCH easier.

Doug C.

If you dont use a 6 x 9 adapter (the best and easiest solution) you need to have some sort of "space" between the rear deck and 6 x 9 mounting surface for cone excursion because you can and will develop damage to the speaker cone making contact with rear deck during music play.

this is kinda weak solution but i did it in my cutlass supreme. To make sure i had enough clearance i cut out the some of the board on the rear deck so my tweeter wouldn't get crushed. Now to mount them i used the 6x9 brackets off my Cutlass ciera and hooked them in where the 4x10 bracket was. the only problem was that where you lock it in place wasn't right so i used some heavy cable ties to hold it up in there. from in the car you could never tell cause the rear deck was carpeted unlike my monte carlo which i just got some 4 x10 cause i had to use the speaker grilles. It wasn't pretty but i never had a problem.

I've heard some reports of the adapter causing a dive in sound quality. Any validity to this?