You can type here any text you want

6x9 Adapter Plates?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
Anyone use these for the rear speakers? I need to do a stereo makeover in the GN, since it's factory speakers and they're basically done for. It has the 6-speaker concert sound.

For the rear speakers I was thinking of going with the 4x10 to 6x9 adapter plates, since I can get them at Best Buy (where I used to work). Do they sound good with these adapters? I thought I heard someone mention before that they have a couple cons, but forget what.

What speaker sizes are in the dash and doors? Gonna replace those too. Thanks.

6x9 adapters work just fine IMO, just be sure to get speakers that will clear the trunk lid torsion bars. I have Cerwin Vega Stealth Series 6x9"s in my T & they sound great, just about anything will work as long as it doesn't have a HUGE magnet. Take a tape measure & measure from the torsion bars to the bottom of the rear deck to exactly see how much room you have to play with.

It's also a good idea to put some double sided tape or foam on the sealing surface of the adapter where it sits up against the rear deck. This makes sure it'll stay put as some people have had problems with the adapter/speaker assembly sliding around a bit within the confines of the hanger.

The door speakers are 5.25" & the dash speakers are 3.5". Gotta be careful that the replacement dash speakers will sit flush, many aftermarket replacements have a tweeter that will interfere with the dash trim sitting flush.

Doug C.

my experience with the adapter plates is that they suck. My car didn't have the hangers when i got it, my pioneers didn't clear the torsion bars, you can't use the 6x9 speaker grills with the adapters, and did i mention they suck. Mine speakers are held up with cable ties right now but it works.

I'm also aware that you have to be careful of how big the magnets on the door speakers are. I've heard of people putting little speakers in the doors with huge magnets that can cause problems with the ECM being in the kickpanel just inches away.

I'll se what I can do. I get both good and bad points on the brackets. I'll just take measurements and find out what I can fit. I have the hangers and all in mint shape. Not bent up or anything. The factory speakers have never even been touched. Hence the fact that they're old and the passenger side one is blown.

The torsion bar is what holds my 6x9's in!! I have phase linears and it's really, really snug. Just bolted the adapter on and "shoved" them in!

Back