6x9 quality

88 CuttyClassic

The Enviromental Hitman
i was at one of these super sales in my city where they have all this dicounted stuff for sale. I bought some 6 x9's for 50 bucks. they are 4 way speakers with 150 x2 rms and 300x2 peak watts. now what i was wondering is how can these be so cheap when you look in crutchfield and say some infinty 6 x9's are like $180 and the numbers are way lower. I mean will these speakers be any good for 50 bucks.? i found a good amp that puts out 150 x2 rms so is that the right match i want for these.? They don't seem like they are crappy quality or anything just that they are not a name brand. i mean how is this for all audio equipment? My opinion is Rockford is a huge rip-off. There was also these audiobaun subs there, the amount of power they could handle was insane and the magnets were HUGE. I think they were like n the 200 dollar range. Right now i'm under the assumption that you pay more for the name rather than the speaker.

Originally posted by 88 CuttyClassic
"they are 4 way speakers with 150 x2 rms and 300x2 peak watts. now what i was wondering is how can these be so cheap when you look in crutchfield and say some infinty 6 x9's are like $180 and the numbers are way lower."

They are cheap because they are not name brand and if you compare them to the infinitys for $180.00 (sound quality performance), you will see why the Infinitys cost that much more.

"I mean will these speakers be any good for 50 bucks They don't seem like they are crappy quality or anything just that they are not a name brand. i mean how is this for all audio equipment?"

Your ears will be able to tell you wether they are good or not. From my 12 years with car audio I have rarely heard generic entry level equipment sound very good especially when comparing it to a name brand performer for more money.

"Right now i'm under the assumption that you pay more for the name rather than the speaker."

Sometimes you do but the quality of the equipment will be better than the piece that you buy at one of those sales events. A name like Rockford will make people flock to them by the masses but they do have excellent equipment (in my opinion) but there are higher end equipment that will blow it out of the water but you will pay alot more for it than the Rockford.

My point is that you will get what you pay for and I am a firm believer in that. There are some things that you can save money on and some things that you cant and that there is a reason for a higher price equipment. I belive that some of the equipment out there is a little over priced but for the most part, you are getting a better piece of equipment over all.

Let your ears be the judge more so than your wallet. It costs nothing to go to a car audio shop and let them demo the different brands of equipment for you.

My '86 GN that I built was a mobile soundroom and helped sell alot of the equipment in the shop and because of the performance of the equipment in my car, it would help a customer to justify paying for the better equipment verses the entry level stuff. There is nothing really wrong with entry level equipment because it does work but when you compare performance and sound quality of name brand equipment, there is no comparison.

see when my cutlass got stolen i took a beating cause i had alot of good equipment in there including the two JL 15's. Right now i'm tryin to build a system for my MCSS and i've been sidetracked so many times already. Two alpine recievers didn't work right so i took them back and got the pioneer deh-6300 and that made a big difference in the output. Then my sony amp blew a fuse and i couldn't get a 40 amp fuse anywhere so i took the whole amp back and got a new one. I blew up a vega 12 and took that back. Then in november my car got busted into and they stole my amp and my head unit.

RIght now i'm lookin on ebay and i can't believe the low prices for some of this stuff. Are these good deals, i mean a 12' rockford HX2 for $129. do you think i should build up my new system through ebay? Here is what i was thinking of doin. I was gonna get a pioneer DEH-7300, i don't like the new 7400( only one set of outputs). I have already pioneer 3.5 in the dash and they are staying cause it was a pain to get them in. I got two pioneer 4x10's in the rear deck. now take in mind i'm not tryin to kill my checking account. I want my high's to scream and my bass to blow up your chest. Also i only wanna run one 12 so i still have space for my t-tops. now the 3.5 and 4x10's i was just gonna run off the head unit. now those 6 x9's i got i was gonna put them in individual boxes and tuck them in a corner or something and get an amp for those. I also am getting a capcitator because when my bass hit with the vega my lights would dim, i tried to switch from 8 awg to 4 awg but it didn't help. now my box is a Q logic it has a port that i can close or open. When i still had my sony amp it was 380 x1 rms and a guy at the sound shop said that a JL w3 would be perfect and i could throw it right in that box and not have a problem. Would you recommend to close off the port or open it up. I have no clue what porting does,i still don't understand alot about this stuff but i can hook it all up with ease. Alot of guys are interested in the dynamics of their system and stuff but all i want is to hear the music and set off a few alarms. Not interested in competition at all. AudioWizard please shed some light on me and maybe an opinion for a low buget boomin system.

Originally posted by 88 CuttyClassic

"RIght now i'm lookin on ebay and i can't believe the low prices for some of this stuff. Are these good deals, i mean a 12' rockford HX2 for $129. do you think i should build up my new system through ebay"

If you find good deals on name brand equipment then there is nothing wrong with shopping on E-bay, the only thing that I would be concerned with is warrantys.

"I also am getting a capcitator because when my bass hit with the vega my lights would dim, i tried to switch from 8 awg to 4 awg but it didn't help. "

A capacitor wont help to prevent your headlights from dimming, all it does is help supply voltage for your amps during short bursts of maximum amplifier draw. You need to add a bigger battery or batteries for capacity and maybe upgrade your alt. if need be.

" now my box is a Q logic it has a port that i can close or open. When i still had my sony amp it was 380 x1 rms and a guy at the sound shop said that a JL w3 would be perfect and i could throw it right in that box and not have a problem. Would you recommend to close off the port or open it up. I have no clue what porting does,i still don't understand alot about this stuff but i can hook it all up with ease. "

Ports operate by taking over the work of moving air from the speaker cone at the port's tuned frequency. The mass of the air in the port and the springiness of the air in the enclosure combine to form a resonant mechanical system, like a tuning fork or a pendulum. At or near the resonant frequency, a small motion of the speaker cone causes a large air flow in the port.

Ported boxes offer improved output and power handling near the port frequency, at the expense of reduced output and power handling below the port frequency.

If you want bone crushing bass, I would recomend sticking to a sealed enclosure and running alot of power on it. The sealed cabinets hit harder and have better power handling.

" Alot of guys are interested in the dynamics of their system and stuff but all i want is to hear the music and set off a few alarms. Not interested in competition at all. AudioWizard please shed some light on me and maybe an opinion for a low buget boomin system."

I personally would start with a decent head unit and then start buying a component a piece at a time. You can always find good deals at car audio shops on used equipment and save a bundle on retail cost. If you want it to perform, buy good used name brand equipment at a local shop or equipment on ebay. You can build the high doller systems for half of the price if you take your time and look for deals because there is nothing wrong with trying to save a few bucks. The hardest part is taking the time to search for deals but with some patience and time, you can put a nice system together. Good luck.

I have bought alot of stereo equipment off of ebay. I have had very good luck with Ebay whole salers. I have actually had good enough luck that some friends of mine have got interested in up grading their stereos and using Ebay whole salers we where able to put good equipment in their cars for the price of the cheap stuff. Just recently we bought a pair of Orion Cobalt series 6x9's for a buddies car. These sell locally for $200 and the local high end shops say they are comparable to my $300 Boston acoustics RM9's. You can get a set of these from a ebay whole saler for like $59 shipped! After we recieved these and hooked them up I was very impressed, they have good sound quality and they sound good at high volume levels. I also agree with the guys from the stereo shop about them being comparable to my Rm9's. These are a co axial speaker but come with inline cross overs so they are really more like a component set. Which is probably why they can take a good bit of power and not start cracking up.

This is the whole saler we bought ours from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1329665291