You can type here any text you want

79 turbo motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

smokeshot

I have aquired a 3.8 turbo out of a 79 t-type. Is this motor worth doing anything with? I would like to build it for a 78 pontiac trans am "sleeper". If it is worth anything could i get some ideas for pumping up the horsepower? Any info would be great - thanks

gnttype.org, look at "performance recipies" for the carbed turbo cars.

With the little research i've done I'm under the influence that this little motor will hold its own. So now I'm asking where to start as far as performance parts such as a complete engine rebuild kit, camshaft, intake manifold, etc... And I would like to know what specifications (comp ratio, cam grind, etc...) are needed to build a stout performer. As you can tell I'm new to buick turbo engines so bear with me. Any information you have would be greatfull.

I think carbed turbos/hot airs are really cool, but if you want the most performance for your money(from what I've seen), go to an intercooled setup...

If you are going to rebuild anyway, look for a 4.1 block. Somebody, somewhere wrote up a budget build up for the 4.1 that I plan to follow (this baord administrators told me not to direct you to where it is).

Then some ported heads and your set. The block is just the foundation. All the power comes from tuning and upping the boost. I have had a lot of success with alcohol injection and some good gauges.

You can't use an intercooler on a carb/turbo set up.

To convert to SFI, you are looking at thousands of $.

Those alcohol injection set ups are very nice, but I use a $30 setup that has served me well. http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/alcohol.htm

You might want to look over my website for more.

Back