80/81 TTA Production Figures

b4black

I was at the bookstore the other day and found a book with some Pontiac 301T production number.

MODEL, 1980/1981
TA, 5753/3851
TA w/Ttop, 7176/6612
SE, 103/65
SE w/Ttop, 3444/3050
PaceCar, 5700/2000
TOTAL 22176/15578

Oddly, the book didn't list any non-TA (Formula) numbers. :confused:

That's 37754 Turbo TA's. Not too shabby. :)

Rich,
Was there any info on what the difference was between a SE Turbo T/A and a Turbo T/A ? I found a website with an '81 SE Turbo T/A and it is identical to mine as far as the color of car and wheels. Thanks for any info,.

Aren't all SE's black and gold, like the Bandit?? :)

The best thing to get would be a '81 Firebrid dealer brochure. They are always on eBay and at swap meets. (and fairly cheap). I need to pick some up too.

Key answer to the question

In most TA circles, SE stands for the Blk and Gold Y84 optioned cars. All Y84 special editions are black and gold exteriors. Some had black and some had tan interiros. However, their were other SE cars. They were the 80 & 81 Pace cars for example. There were Y81, Y82 and Y88 (Gold Paint) models too.

By the way, the sales literature doesn't cover many of the special cars. So don't look to that to clear much up for you.

See these WEB sites.
http://members.aol.com/banditclub/bandit.html

http://www.pontiacs.org/plinks.html

http://www.f-body.org/

Thanks BuickTurboSix,
Mine is the black car with gold wheels, bird, noise emblem, horn medallion and solid black interior w/t-tops, I check the cowl plate but no Y-84 option :( . I have asked several people this question and you and a gentleman from Canada were the only ones that could answer my question. Thanks so much for the feedback. I tried the Bandit forum but I think the site is down.

More info

You should order the Pontiac Historical Society info on the car!!! This will give you a lot of info on it.

This will give specific details about your car, not general information. It may explain some of the questions. Just having this info will ad value to the car!

Also, see if the build sheet is under the springs of the front seat or behind the back seat. This too would answer many questions. If it is in the front seat, it will be hard to get out and probably take a lot of tape to put back together. Removing the seat will help too.

Good luck!!

Tom

Thanks Tom,
I will check under the seat, I already check the back seat for the build sheet and its not there. Its funny that I have most of the markings of an SE except for the machined turned gold instrument panel, mine is the silver color (aluminum).

If it is a true SE car (aside from all the extra pinstripes) the plastic grilles around the front turn signals will be gold instead of black. This is the easiest way to spot a fake aside from the dash board because not many people know about it. Most TA's with tan interiors have the gold wheels, mine does and so did an 80 Formula I used to have too.

I know they have the "gold" machined turned dash and when I looked at mine it was all silver but I removed the black bezels around the gauges and found out that I have the "gold" dash because there was the factory gold around each and every one of the black bezels where the sun did not fade the gold off of the dash bezel. Needless to say I have a "Special Edition" Turbo Trans-am. I am sending off for my vehicle documentation and factory replica window sticker from Pontiac Historical Services and I will be 100 % sure through the documentation that my car isnt a "fake" Special Edition, there is always the chance that someone possibly went through the trouble of puting on the "Special Edition" options on to the car but the documentation will tell me everything that I need to know that the factory built my car with. Thanks for all of your input guys :) .