You can type here any text you want

83 Riv. 3.8 turbo eng.oil to use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tablunk88

I have a newly rebuilt 3.8 Turbo in my Riviera.The engine has been properly rebuilt to specs with ,factory upgraded cam , higher output oil pump,and has been properly rotate balanced.Is there a engine oil that someone can recommend I use to replace the SF 10W30 oil that GM recommended to be used- but is now obsolete,and is there a better oil filter I can use or is the original one good enough?

Bob.

kirban 2 cents worth

ue any current available correct weight your engine calls for SM oil conventional or snythetic and and tis is important one 4 ounce of bottle of zddplus....ZDDPlus is available from Gbodyparts, Jays GN, Jack Cotton or my company kirban performance.com

The 4 ounce bottle of zddplus will bring the sm oil you buy today back to 1988 specs or about 1,800 ppm of zddp which is what you want...this product is sld by may major mail oder companies and we have don garlits as our spokesperson.

we sell driect to 4 cam companies isky crower delta and private label for erson cm also to several major engine warehouses....its the real deal and the answer to the zddp oil ssue.

kirbanpeformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

On a side note in my private collection I have the prototypes of the turbocharged emblems that are on your Riv. Molly did them and the original GN badges that are on the GNs....

mobil sells a "high mileage" synthetic oil that it says is for "high mileage" cars and trucks that has the "SL" rating. it comes in a 10w30 and 10w40 weight and is sold in 5 quartt jugs at WalMart. i don't know about the zinc levels, but it's what's been in my Regal and 74 Monte for the last couple of years.
if you look around, you might also be able to find some older Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w40.

kirban 2 cents worth

why would you want to put diesel oil in a gas motor? Diesel oil has stuff for soot control. SL oil is ok to use has higher levels of zddp than does SM oil. I find it hard to believe that SL is still readily available since SM came out well over a year ago.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

why would you want to put diesel oil in a gas motor? Diesel oil has stuff for soot control. SL oil is ok to use has higher levels of zddp than does SM oil. I find it hard to believe that SL is still readily available since SM came out well over a year ago.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Sl can still be found in some brands in 10w-40 and 20w-50 but that viscosity is not ideal in the 3.8 engine according to GM ------and while SL at 1200 or less zddp is better than SM at 800 PPM or less, it is still shy of the 1800 to 2000 that is reccomended for high performance and/or flat tappet engines--------- diesel oil is usually 15w40 and with its extremely high detergent level is an even worse choice for a high performance gasoline engine.............RC

Back