'83 T-Type Vacuum Line and Electronics Questions with Pics

nothingman

I am finally installing the carb and turbo I rebuilt on my stock '83 T-Type... I've already deleted the smog pump and corresponding valves. The question I have is in regards to the vacuum lines that connect at the rear of the carb and the electronic modules they connect to. The vacuum lines also connect and run through hard line just below the valve cover, coming up in the front of the carb... Some of those vacuum lines connected to the smog pump valves. So my question is what are the electronic modules(pictured) and the vacuum lines(pictured) that attach to them and can I remove them and cap the nipples on the carb, without causing problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2012-12-12_17-25-33_480.jpg2012-12-12_17-25-25_507.jpg2012-12-12_17-25-16_278.jpg2012-12-12_17-25-08_85.jpg

I do have the diagram that you posted, it's in one of my repair manuals... i'll have to check if i have one on the shroud that is different. since i've removed the pump, canister, the valves, thermac sensor, i'll be adding my own cold air intake... pretty much everything in the bottom right side of the diagram i've removed. i was thinking most of those vacuum lines would now be vestigial or maybe they were pretty useless in the first place, only in place to satisfy epa standards? i do have the egr valve in place still because i was told if i were to remove it i would have detonation... i've heard these quadrajet electronic carbs are very specific with the vacuum, bleeds, jets... and can be temperamental if slightly altered, so i'm weary about removing too many vacuum lines. i'm pretty satisfied with how much the engine compartment has been cleaned up after i removed the smog shit. maybe i'm just getting too nuts with removing these other items but i thought since i was at it, might as well get rid of all that i can as i try to make my t-type pretty and easier to work on :) so am i understanding that both those modules on that mount are egr purge solenoids?

No, just one is for the EGR valve. The other purges the charcoal cannister.

The carb is the source of vacuum, so capped off any ports that are no longer being used.

Good advice is don't remove anything unless you know what it is and what will change. :)

i definitely like to know what i'm doing before pulling anything off haha. i left the smog junk on till the last possible moment, then after fighting with the crap running all over hell i couldn't take it... so i checked with some of the cats on here and found it was cool to remove the smog stuff without causing problems. so i'm back just to see if there is anymore i can junk, but it looks like the remaining vac tubes and modules will be needed. bummer, cuz i was hoping to ditch those hard vac lines because they are in the way of placing a regular valve cover oil cap on :/ anyway around that long tube oil fill extension coming out of the valve cover?

oh and btw if you're interested a craigslist ad was posted on my facebook page of an 82 gn sport coupe for sale... guess the guy will take $2300. i know they are rare but i have far too many cars :( here is the link: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/3467610231.html

That is a Sport Coupe, but it's not a Grand National. There were 2,022 Sport Coupes in 1982.

It has the Limited interior with pillow top buckets and a column shifter. Wierd.

thanks for the help! deem that liar, should have known with craigslist haha. oh so are you saying i wasn't safe in removing the smog, related valves and charcoal canister?

Those are OK to remove. They are gone on my '83 T Type. You just need to make sure the right places are plugged. The smog put air into the exhaust (at different places) so the catalytic converter operates better. If you have a converter with an air tube, it might plug without the smog pump. Without the canister, you might smell gasoline from time to time.

EGR is tricky to remove right, and offers no benefits.

cool thank you very much for the help! i plugged the gas tank return line from the cannister... is that ok? my state doesn't require emissions for the car so i'm going to lose the converter as well. yea i left the egr after reading that removing it may cause issues... you live in illinois right? would you or do you know of anyone that might have any interest in a '73 455 short block and 400 turbo trans from a '73 firebird? i'm thinking about posting it on ebay soon but would rather sell it local...

i plugged the gas tank return line from the cannister... is that ok? my state doesn't require emissions for the car so i'm going to lose the converter as well. .

I didn't plug that off - I think the tank needs to be vented some how. If the tank doesn't build vacuuum when the fuel is used up, then you're OK. (The gas cap might let air in)

I'd put that engine on the Chicago Craigslist. Lots of people use it for car stuff.

I checked my gas cap and it appears to have small venting areas... it may be aftermarket from a previous owner. yea i prob put it on craigslist and ebay just to get rid of it quicker, more money for the buick repairs haha. thanks for the help and happy holidays :)