You can type here any text you want

83 to 84/85 EFI

• Thread starter Thread starter BBTurbo
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
B

BBTurbo

I want to convert my 83 to EFI. I thought the conversion to 84/85 would be the best bet. I do not know what to do about distributor. What should I do about the turbo modifications? I know that I am a sell out but I like EFI. This does not make me the enemy. How about yall talking me out of it? I need a car that will run 13.42 or better. I need 20 to 22 MPG. I need a million dollars. Let me know what you think. BBTurbo

Mike just gave you the piece of advice there is, IMO.

You would need a lot of stuff and a Hot Air 84/85 still needs work for the 13's. If you were going to make the jump to SFI, then go all the way to an IC 86/87 set up.

Here are some things would need to go 84/85 SFI:
ECM, wiring, sensors (crank, cam, MAF, etc.)
Complete ignition
Turbocharger, downpipe, up-pipe
intake, injectors, fuel rail, throttle body
baffled fuel tank with pump

Conversions aren't easy nor cheap. And there is little advantage to starting with a carb/turbo versus a carb 2-bbl car. Sell the '83 and buy a SFI car if you must have fuel injection. If you're going to go the conversion route, start with a 2-bbl car. Don't waste a good car.

Originally posted by BBTurbo
I want to convert my 83 to EFI. I thought the conversion to 84/85 would be the best bet.
For the same monies you can convert to the 86/87 platform..more bang for the buck

I know that I am a sell out but I like EFI. This does not make me the enemy. How about yall talking me out of it? [B/]

You are not a sellout yet...OK maybe you are :) but I'm guilty of the same thoughts.
Have you tried to run the car as is yet? Have you moded the car yet or is it still stock? Have many miles are on the block?

I need a car that will run 13.42 or better. I need 20 to 22 MPG. I need a million dollars. Let me know what you think. BBTurbo

Hey I could use a million too.... My car pulls 20-25mpg everyday(highway/city) I got 25-28mpg on my cross country drive (Seattle to Atlanta by way of NC) That was with a slipping trans and cracked headers and about 600lbs of dogs and other crap.
13's are possible with our cars, but for the same money you can convert....:eek: ...OK think about this...either way you will have to spend money. To get to 13's you will need: ported heads with larger valves, bigger cam, hogged out turbo, more stall on TC and Alky kit.
Now most of this stuff/money spent will be a good investment even if you convert to 86/87 exept for the hogged out turbo, but some one here would more than likely buy it from you...
Just my thoughts on it.
Jim(still thinking of converting)

Back