You can type here any text you want

83 turbo Regal engine with carb

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pruitg

I need information on what wiring harnesses I need for the ESC and ECm and if they are available.
Pruit

The ECM is specific to a '83 TR.
PROM Code: APM
Service ECM: 1226025

The wiring would be specific also, but a NA engine would be close. You might be able to adapt it if you had a GM service manual with the wiriung diagrams.

Easiest would be to find someone parting out a '83 TR. Or go with a pre-ECM carb, distributor, etc.

I would prefer to have the knock sensor, so the ESC harness is a necessity, but i think its only 5 wires, 4 to the distributor and one to the Knock sensor. the ecm may be similar to a NA car and could be modified. It must be the one that plugs into the carb?
Pruit

The early non-ECM Turbo V6's (78/80) used a stand alone knock sensor/ESC (Turbo Control Center).

I believe at some point, the 3.8 NA used a knock sensor (85/87?). 4.1 V6's used knock sensors as well (81/84).

The EST distributor (ECM controlled) was the same for all V6's. (Turbo, 4.1 and 3.8 NA's.)

Wires running to the carb are a easy sign of an ECM. The ESC controller is usually found on the passenger side inner fender, near the MAP sensor.

I've found a NA 82 Le Sabre with 4.1. For some reason I don't yet recognize the ESC. It does have a computer and electronic carb.
There is a box on the inner pass fenderwell that has wires going to it, but also what looks like a rubber tube, like a vac hose. It has what appears to be a knock sensor on the back of the engine block. There are two sensors in front, but both go into water passages. There is something with wores down by the oil filter. This was a plush car before it crashed.
It also has 4 wires going to a motor -like thing on the the throttle stop.
It seems to have a separate GM type cruise control.
Would this 4.1 be suitable to turbo if my 3.8 turns out to be not good?

I hope to find a 4.1 like your describing to put in one of my cars. I plan to use it as is (if it's running ok). The pistons are the only weak spot, but if you keep knock down, they should hold up.

The ESC module will be in the dash under the glove box. Rip the lower panel off and you will see it. The 78/82 uses a different sensor than the 83/87. http://www.flash.net/~rjgeorge/knock.htm

The sensor with the tube is the MAP.

Rich,
Thanks. I should have re-read Before Black information, but I would have missed the MAP ID. I'll go look for the ESC later.

The manual that happened to be with this car shows a speed sensor that is connected to the Computer (ECM). Do you know if it necessary for the engine to run?

I've spent most of my life on cars without electronic engine management, so this is all new.
Pruit

Back