'84 3.8l T-Type Transplant to '80 El Camino

aea257

:confused: I hope to transplant the heart & soul out of an '84 T-Type into an '80 El Camino but someone suggested to stay away from '84-85's. He said they weren't a good engine. What's he talking about? If anyone also has any tips or suggestions to make this transformation work without to many headaches, let me have them.

Definately get ahold of Red Regal T. I believe he is doing a transplant into a 78 El Camino. I'm personally going to turn my 79 into a propane powered turbocharged 350.

The 84-85 motors didn't make as much power stock, as they didn't come with an intercooler. They also use a different intake, turbo location, MAF sensor, computer and so on. Some people think it's better to start with a later model vehicle, some think the hotairs are a hell of a bargain.

Transplant

There are some differences between the '84-'85 and '86-'87 engines. But when someone claims that the '84-'85 design is junk, they are then also inferring that the '86-'87 design is junk too.
The basic design of the engine goes back to the early '60s when the engine was introduced on the Buick Special and fundamentally didn't change from its introduction through the intercooled turbo years. Therefore the intercooled '86-'87 technology was built on the hot air design, so whomever is making these claims, take it for what it is. Hot air (no pun intended).
I've owned my GN since May of 1985, and have made simple modifications (not gettting into the engine). It has about 110 thousand miles and it's still just as fast as my brothers '87 T-Type.
If you can find a hot air in good shape, go for it. It's an easy swap for the El Caminl.:cool:

84 engine

nothing wrong with hot air motors. and there are some parts avail for them along with a intercooler kit . with right tuning and some octane you can run as good as a intercooled version(86-87)which might be why he says there junk.prove him wrong and do it . andy
ps lots of info on this site to get you there