You can type here any text you want

84 power boost 86 engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

alliedmike

2 Cyl short NO PROBLEM
Hey guys. I have an 84 GN with hydroboost, I have rebuilt an 86 engine complete and will be installing that. I have a few questions about using the 86 power steering pump to power the steering and hydroboost . first off will it power it? second has anyone done this before and maybe has good instructions on plumbing it. and lastly the 86 pump does not have a reservoir for the fluid? where is the reservoir located on the 86? guess i have to find one.thanks guys

Yes, it will power it just fine.

Take a look at my hydroboost article in my sig and you will get some of your questions answered on plumbing. Yes, the pump does have a reservoir as shown in my pics. If you need to source one, you may want to get one that has an extra nipple for a return line rather than having to tee into the existing return. This type of reservoir will make your system more resistant to cavitation.

ok so if i get this right the driver side port on the HB is just a pass through to the gear box? the fluid comes out of the PS pump goes into the HB on passenger side passes through to the drivers side and down to the gear box and whatever fluid the HB uses is returned through the return hose on the HB unit does that sound accurate?

I have an 84 with hydroboost and an intercooled motor w/serpentine belt drive. If you canot figure out the plumbing, let me know and I will send you a schematic that "powerbrakebob" sent to me years ago. I had him go through my hydroboost and power steering pump.
Conrad

Hey Conrad, I think I have the plumbing figured out but it never hurts to double check yourself, if you wouldent mind sending me the schematic that you have. I am sure that would come in super helpfull.
Thank you
Mike

You've got it pretty much figured out. If you buy the 1984 spec pressure hoses for your project, the plumbing will be no problem at all aside from having to tweak the connection a bit at the pump. I put the hose in a vise and gently bent it 30 degrees or so to get it to line up with the fitting on the pump.

The parts in my article were all researched by Turbonut85. He's the one who got the ball rolling for a lot of conversions around here and is an excellent resource. It sounds like you just need the hoses and a reservoir if you already have the booster and master cylinder. You could re-use hoses if you have them from your 84, but I wouldn't. You can get them fairly cheap at advanceauto.com with their discounts. My whole system is from them, but I dragged my feet for a long time waiting for 25% off and free shipping. ;) I used them rather than Rock Auto because I wanted to have a store to go to if I needed an exchange.

Awesome sounds good all i need to do now is get my hands on the power steering tank do you have any ideas on a tank from what vehicle would work

Back