You can type here any text you want

84gn with 87 engine, will start, but not stay running...Please help me...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fbodlovr

1/4 Mile Freak
I have had this car for four years now, and I have never been able to plate it and drive it due to the fact that I cannot get this thing running correctly. When I bought the car, it had the hot air engine in it. When we got it, it would not rev up past 3500, and would simply just not more very quick at all. After a couple years of messing with it, and NOBODY having any answers, I decided to just go ahead and switch over to the intercooled setup. I bought an 87 engine with everything, and put it in. The engine ran way better than the old one did.

But now I am having trouble with it staying running. The engine would rev up all the way, but just didnt seem to be that quick at all. So, I went to adjust the cam sensor thinking maybe it needed to be adjusted, and I think I actually got it out of whack. Those descriptions on gnttype.org are terrible at describing how to do it. But, the car will start up after a few cranks, idle up to about 2k, idle down to about 1000, idle for a couple seconds, then die. It will keep going if I keep my foot on it, but thats it. It also seems like it has a little stuttering down low. The other thing is that it seems like it might be getting too much fuel because it smells rich, but when I ran it out around the neighborhood a while back I had to keep turning up the fp to get it to run properly. So that has me thrown off. The other thing that has me thrown off now is that when the fuel pump primes, it doesnt show any fp. A few cranks later the car starts up, and idles at about 38psi fp.

Can someone PLEASE help me out here!!!!! PLEASSEEE!!!!! :(

I took a look at that site, and went to troubleshooting. The only thing it talks about is a no start problem. Mine will start, but not keep running. Think it just needs more fuel in the tank? I can hear it in the tank when i jiggle the car.

I took a look at that site, and went to troubleshooting. The only thing it talks about is a no start problem. Mine will start, but not keep running. Think it just needs more fuel in the tank? I can hear it in the tank when i jiggle the car.

Just put a few more gallons in the tank and the same problem happened. I would start after a few seconds of cranking, rev up to about 2k, start to idle down, and then die. Can the cam sensor cause this if it is not set properly? And if I am not getting any FP when the pump primes, does that mean my pump is bad? Its a walbro by the way.

What is the fuel pressure while the car is running?
Does the fuel pressure drop off before it dies?
What chip is in the car?
All hoses and tube connected properly?
There is a black female spade connector in the harness behind the alternator that you can apply 12v to and make the fuel system run until you take the power away.

I will check all of these and post back. Please bare with me as I would REALLY like to get this thing going once and for all. And maybe actually be able to take it to the track one of these days. :rolleyes:

Slow and easy....

Take your time and do it right or it could be one of the most expensive 13,12,or 11 seconds of your life.:eek: :biggrin:

Ok, so I went out and reset the cam sensor and now it stays running. BUT, it still seems to have some slight issues like running right, and a little popping that you can hear in the exhaust. I have no exhaust hooked up after the down pipe. Here are the scanmaster numbers, and some quick notes I wrote down while in the car.

o2 millivolts 390
AF 07
L8 42-50(higher when sputtering)(55 when in drive)
INT128
BL 128
CLT 121-142
ATS 63
R 800-900(675 in drive)
TPS .44
IAC 20(39 when in drive)
CC 100, 166, 244, 43, 224, 188(all over the place)
MAL 23

Lots of sputtering in idle-RPM's are up and down about 500 steadily
Smells Rich

After getting tired of it, and revving it up to see if I could get whatever it was, out of there, rpms went to 950-975 with lighter sputtering in idle.

FP was at 36 in idle. When the pump primes, it seems like there is not pressure, atleast that is what my gauge says. And it does take a few cranks to get it to start.

Has the factory chip in the ecm.

What do you guys think? PLEASE bare with me.

Back