You can type here any text you want

85 gn or fake ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

beyerch

Hey,

Would greatly appreciate some help here!

I was looking at what is advertised to be an 85 GN today. The car is in GREAT shape (no rust, interior beautiful, etc).

However, I noticed a couple of things.

#1 - No headliner at all... not sagging, no nothing.
#2 - The cruise stalk was half black/half chrome colored ?
#3 - Engine bay had a brake system that was powered off of the power steering pump? Never seen it before? The guy said he spent $1300 to get brakes repaired. He MIGHT have said something about replacing the whole system, but i dunno....
#4 - Car had absolutely NO options... NO digital dash, no t-tops, not power seats, no digital touch climate, no posi (g80). Had console shifter and power windows.....
#5 - exhaust pipes looked just like the one on my old 84 monte carlo? ??
#6 - The passenger side of the car had a dime sized perfect circular HOLE right before the rear wheel well. It wasn't a rust hole, and it wasn't like something was rammed through it; rather, it looked very stock. Now I was brainstorming and what it looked like to me was a hole for those lower body trim piecese to mount into for the old regals/monte's.... i don't think this is on a gn.
#7 - vin # is VIN # - 1g4gk4793fh412021

Now issues like #1 and #2 really wouldn't have tripped my interest except for the fact that #6 was present. I'm trying to figure out if they transferred all GN stuff to a normal car or if they used a replace3ment panel from a na regal/monte and didn't notice (unlikely) a hole in it. The hole is NOT rusted around it; however, it probably would be if its been like that for a while so i'm thinking its been painted ? In which case they know ......

I'm not sure of the significance of the options (lack thereof); however, car seems RATHER plain..... As far as the headline goes, its was comp0letely6 bare metal up there like the whole thing was pulled out (i.e. wrong color and needed a replacement)....

It was a very convincing fake (good paint, right color, perfect interior except headliner, etc, etc); however, the hole has me concerned. Can anyone out there confirm my suspicions ?

thanks

charles
!

quarter

According to Carfax:

Year/Make/Model: 1985 BUICK REGAL T-TYPE

Body Style: COUPE
Engine: 3.8L V6 SFI OHV TURBO
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: UNITED STATES
Safety Equipment: Active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows Optional, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel Optional

I sent you the complete carfax. The brake system you're talking about is called HydroBoost...I didnt know it was available on turbo Regals (I'm not saying it wasn't, I simply haven't heard of it on one before). The car was in at least two front end collisions, minor according to Carfax. There are NO mileage records and the odd dates for the titles suggest multiple owners within the past few years. If the car is nice and is a good price, bring it to a good TR shop and examine it on a lift. Lots of times you'll see things under a microscope up there (bent parts, mismatched finishing, etc).

Thanks!

Well the price is fairly decent and its looks very clean, little rust, etc.

The thing that really caught my attention was that hole on the passenger side, i took a pic i'll put it up. Its too perfect of a hole to be caused by something other than it being cut out at the factory or what not.

Interior real clear, exterior had as close to no rust as possible, etc. As long as its straight I don't really care about a few accidents if they were minor and the thing is repaired correctly.

I'm just trying to make sure its not a clone or someone wrecked the real one and then move it to a new car or whatever....

Any ideas about what that hole could be ?

Charles

Back