'85 gnx ????

regaldave

Back in 1988 or '89 I saw an ad in the Trading Times that said '85 GNX, I thought he may of met '87 GNX. So, I called on the ad and the Guy told me he worked at ASC when they were building the GNX's. He told me he was given permission to put his '85 Grand National through the same conversion process as the '87 GNX's, he said the engine was their strongest of three test motors and the car was just like the '87 GNX's, he said it ran mid 12's with a few extra modifications, and the car went down the line after the last GNX. If I remember right he said he lived near White Lake or Walled Lake, MI. I was wondering if X-ray or anyone else new anything about this car, I think the asking price at that time was around $19,000 or so. Thanks for any info.

Yes it was an 85 that he converted to an 87 back in 86 or early 87….it had a badge of 548 and we know there was only 547 built. The car did get modified down the line and was sold several years ago…it went to a few different people and I believe someone on this board is restoring it, as it was pretty beat up. I saw the new owner a year or two ago at one of our Buick events. He was asking me several questions about the vehicle. I do knot know if he is finished working on it or not.:smile:

Made buy people that worked on the GNX program....two...GNX recreations????

After thinking about it you said it had a badge of 548, that is what he said when I spoke with him. It sounds to me that this car was built before the production and did it have one of the test motors? As I thought he told me? Also, what did Heinzs Prechter think about these two creations? Thanks for all the information. RegalDave

After thinking about it you said it had a badge of 548, that is what he said when I spoke with him. It sounds to me that this car was built before the production and did it have one of the test motors? As I thought he told me? Also, what did Heinzs Prechter think about these two creations? Thanks for all the information. RegalDave

Actually that vehicle was built during the GNX production run of vehicles, as for the engine I do not know if it was a test engine or not but it is very likely that it was.
As for Mr Prechter’s thoughts, I do not know, I never talked to him about it. But my immediate supervisors that gave me many of the parts liked it a lot; I gave all of them the die cast model of the car when it was introduced. The car was on display during one of our quarterly meetings along with my 65 Mustang as I was given the Car Nut Award. In fact one of the pictures you see in the X Ray thread showing the car under lights was taken at that ASC meeting.

Thanks for all the information, it's always interesting to know what was going on behind the scenes. I was wondering if you will be at the Moose Preserve this Wednesday (18th) in the evening? I will be there with my car. RegalDave