You can type here any text you want

85 NA, need to know what to look for?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sarah99gxe

Finally got my Turbo
Hi Guys,

I'm going to go look at an 85 NA this weekend. Supposedly the car was bought at an auction, it runs great (except the AC doens't work) and it passed smog with no problems.
They are asking $2400 for it. It looks clean by the pictures, but I want to negotiate the price down to $2000.

Are there any specifics that I should look for? We are going to check the body for rust, ripples, color change etc..and wear and tear on the inside of the car (floorboards) - Mileage is shown as 50K, but I think it's more like 150K.

I just wonder what typically goes wrong with these cars that could be major....(now I used to have an 85 but it's been a long time and I don't remember everything that was wrong with it).

Thanks for all help & advise,

Sarah

One thing I noticed while looking at the pic and comparing it with my old car....

Shouldn't the side molding go all the way to the front quarter panel a little bit? I'm wondering if this panel's been replaced.

Carfax came up with a clean record on the car so I'm not sure about any accidents.

85NA.jpg

Sounds like you have thought of most things. You should probably get this moved to the lounge, it will get a lot more views. We have a member (cannot remember who at the moment) that works for an insurance company and can run the vin through his database that usually shows all kind of stuff not found on carfax. Good luck!

When you turn the key, make sure the check engine light comes on, and then goes off once the car is started. This confirms the ECM is working.

Re: 85 NA ?

Sarah, what year was your old car? I saw the other links, the trim on the rockers is different based on the model. The one pic showed a std. Regal, the other a Limited trim level. If your old car had trim on the lower edge from bumper to bumper, instead of just between the wheel openings, then it sounds like an '81 Limited. I have one, and it is the only year of the late ('81-87) body style that had the full trim. I have a picture on another computer, I could post/send later if interested. Hope this new 85 works out!
Mike
P.S. Edit: Now that I'm more awake and thought about your ?, I guess you're talking more about the protective door rub moulding running front to rear. I see in the pic. that the left front section is missing on the froint fender. Check left & right to see if they are the same, placed at the same height, etc. Also check inside the door jamb where the door and fender meet the body-check for overspray within that area that might mean a quick repaint too. HTH

Back